Why do we still produce coinage with reeding?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BlackBeard_Thatch, Jul 18, 2017.

1. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Reeding on coinage was invented by Isaac Newton to prevent counterfeits and the filing down of coins for their silver content but we don't have these problems anymore so why continue the practice? The many economies in the world are driven by paper money and not coinage anymore so the risk of counterfeits are low to non-existent, who wants to counterfeit an 2015 Cent anyway? Counterfeiters don't have a hard time getting reeding on counterfeits anymore so it is not a security feature on coinage anymore and reeding does not protect Numismatics products from counterfeits in anyway. The filing down of coins is not heard of these days because coinage is not made out of silver anymore due to inflation and we(U.S) have been producing clad coinage since 1965 due to this problem(Coinage Act of 1965).
    With these reasons put into question, why do we still produce coinage with reeding and should we get rid of it? I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Yes, this is an interesting question. Those ridges do seem more than quaint.

This article cites the ability for the visually impaired to tell the differences between denominations such as the penny and dime: http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/why-do-coins-have-ridges

It also said that reeding impedes counterfeiting, or at least makes it a little more challenging, though that may become less relevant over time.
    Other sources I found said that reeding "enhances a coin's artistry."

This very subject came up when I toured Canada's Ottawa mint about a month ago, and I'm sad to say that I can't remember every reason they gave - I was too busy looking at huge coils of gold that would soon turn into Maple Leafs.

The true answer may be the most prosaic: "we've always done it this way" or "why change tradition now?"

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    BlackBeard_Thatch likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Curtisimo and BlackBeard_Thatch like this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Just think! All of those little valleys between the ridges would have to be filled with additional metal, and I'm pretty sure that the Mint would want to get paid for it. I say get rid of the cent before we think about doing away with reeding.

Chris

6. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I think that vision-impaired people may find them useful...?

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I don't see any reason to change it. Why bother?

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Tactile recognition.

9. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

The modern application would be as a tactile aid for those who cannot visually identify the coin.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

qwertyuiop

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

asdfghjkl ;)

BlackBeard_Thatch and Kentucky like this.
  12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Two reasons, tradition, and so coins of similar size and weight can be differentiated by touch.

PennyGuy and Lawtoad like this.
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Tradition?

15. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

As these posts attest and as a parent of a visually challenged adult child I can tell you that reeding does indeed serve an important function.

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I had to look that one up.

17. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

How else would coins retain quality germs? :yack:

Cal

18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I just KNEW this was coming. :)

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That's OK it's good. We also have many traditions that guide out lives, actions etc. And in many cases we can't say how those traditions got started either.

Draft saved Draft deleted