Why do we get some many non and new collectors posting common cents on our boards?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by johnmilton, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

There was absolutely nothing in my comment to merit such a belligerent response. But thanks for showing your true colors so early in your tenure here. It'll spare me the effort of trying to make a "positive difference" in response to any of your future posts.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cat27

Cat27 New Member

Always possible of course. She was very much involved with him in collecting coins along with collecting antiques(furniture, ect) and so forth.

Anyhow- if you have any advice on what
    Your good. Thanks for the response.
    Only from what I've read- aren't Proof coins/sets usually uncirculated ect?(I'm sure some get out there in circulation). I have a coin that I received from change at McDs and here's one of the areas I am trying to identify coins as being from a Proof set or Mint set ect and not mess up what years offered one or the other or both. - so... I believe the dime I have is a proof dime. 1981-S dime...not sure if its type I or II if Im getting this right.. 81-s.jpg Capture+_2019-04-02-09-32-42-1.png 0402190750.jpg
    0402190748b.jpg

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Being a businessman I write and read more written business communications than I care to think about. It would astound you to see some of the documents that cross my desk with hardly a care for grammatical accuracy. Some even with "text lingo" being used. And these are communications that are supposed to be impactful and persuasive business documents. I take the very same approach. If the writer doesn't care enough to make an impression on me then why should I care. That is a very accurate statement. I may plagiarize that one from ya!:shame:

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I do a lot of technical editing of documents. Along a similar vein, any typographical errors or grammar mistakes just call to question the subject matter being discussed and the expertise of the author. That said, there are cases here when folks have English as a second language that merits some consideration.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

This should answer your question -

S_Mintmark_Comparison.jpg

Your coin looks like a type 2 to me.

yakpoo likes this.
  7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

8. Cat27

Cat27 New Member

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

9. GDJMSP

I'm not belittling them for being frustrated Books, to the contrary, the purpose of my comments were to explain that I fully understand WHY they are frustrated. And not just them, but the newbies as well.

But one thing that I was trying to point out, that you apparently failed to get, is that because they post there so often, and because the same thing happens over and over again, they should know it is going to happen again. That means they have two choices, they can choose to not post there and thus avoid the issue entirely. Or, they can post there, expect what's going to happen to happen, and simply deal with it by them being the ones who rise above and do not react in a negative manner. In other words it takes two to tango, and if one refuses to dance, well then there aint gonna be no dance.

Either choice puts an end to the strife and discontent.

It's like 2 kids on the playground, one gets into the other's face. Now they can both stand there and allow what's gonna be, be. Or, one can choose to walk away. And the one who chooses to walk away is the one who puts an end to it.

What'm trying to say is, it's the established members who should be the ones who choose to walk away because they know better, and because they are better people that that.

yakpoo likes this.
  10. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

define established member

CoinCorgi likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

Really ? I mean how many ways could there be to define that ? But OK, members who've been here for some time, members who know the answers and gladly provide them.

12. CoinCorgi

Fixed it. lol

Clawcoins and LaCointessa like this.
  13. slackaction1

Really ? he just changed your answer. but ok.. jus wanna make sure I was on right page...….

14. GDJMSP

And just in case there's still any confusion or misunderstanding about what I have been trying to get across with my comments.

There are two groups of people involved in this issue. Established members and new members. The established members know what's going on, they know how the forum works, they know the answers, they know the terminology, they even know the questions that are going to be asked before they get asked. They know all this because they've been doing it for a long time. And most of all they know what happens on a fairly regular basis - the conflicts that arise.

Then we have the new members. They do not know how the forum works, they do not know the terminology, they do not know the real answers, they think the info they've run across previously is accurate, when it isn't, etc etc, they basically don't know much of anything.

So what to do, how to solve it, how do you put an end to the conflicts ? One way would be for the established members to answer the questions to the best of their ability. And do so in a friendly and affable manner, which is what they almost always do anyway.

BUT - if and when the new member cops an attitude, right then and there is the time for the established member to simply walk away. Don't answer, don't respond, don't cop an attitude of their own. Do that and the conflict ends before it even get's started. Like I said, it takes two to tango.

And the established members are really the only ones who can do this because they are the only ones who know in advance what's going to happen. The new members certainly don't. They don't understand, worse, they completely misunderstand, which is why they cop an attitude to begin with.

But the established members do understand because they've already been through it a thousand times. They are the ones who know better so they need to be the bigger person, the better person, and simply walk away.

jafo50, longshot, Maxfli and 2 others like this.
  15. slackaction1

TY boss...……. didn't mean to ruffle your feathers with (define establish member) when u replied (REALLY) .. jus kind of wanted to know..

16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You do understand what belittling means, right? For someone who believes I failed to “get” it, you’re only helping to make my point here.

17. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

"Think they know the answers" (THAT'S MEEE!!!) - Sometimes I am sure I know the answer :writer:- Some of those times I am just plain wrong!!:(:oops::shy: Lollzz.

(I AM trying to be more careful about that.) :)

CoinCorgi likes this.
  18. CoinCorgi

Ditto! I know I don't know all that I think I know. Know what I mean?

LaCointessa likes this.
  19. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Yep... I know what you mean....

The only thing I am POSITIVE that I absolutely know without a single doubt....

...is that I don't know everything. :-D

20. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I knew that.
    I think.

You know as much as you know based upon your existing knowledge. As you learn more, you learn that you knowledge was not as expansive as it is now, which can still grow and expand. Of course, as you learn more, you can learn that what you thought was correct in the past is no longer correct.

Of course, I could be wrong about that and acknowledge that I'm right all the time, except when I'm not of which I would only be mistaken. :)

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  21. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

The U.S. Mint has turned into the Franklin Mint. It's hard to get exited over slugs.
    ...even limited edition slugs.

The Good News is...coin collecting is still a great and interesting hobby, making the fixed supply of truly collectible coins that much more collectible!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted