Why do we get some many non and new collectors posting common cents on our boards?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by johnmilton, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Cat27

Cat27 New Member

ok, so... not trying to start off with Everyone on the wrong foot but I seem to be. with that being said- I apologize if I have insulted anyone. it was not my intentions I swear. I have only posted questions I believe 3 times now and those who responded so quickly I was very appreciative of. I did not expect anyone to answer any of my questions. My Uncle is a Huge coin collector or I should say was...from what my mother said, he has invested his life into it outside of his normal job but when he got extremely sick was going to lose his house and didn't know what to do for his family- so...he sacrificed most of his precious coins in selling them when he wanted to pass them on to his kids one day and he had found his coins mostly through looking through his change and others but once in a while hit flea markets ect to see who was letting go of coins they didn't realize of their value. He was able to sell and auction off them for roughly $76,000. I would completely love to be educated by him on this matter but he is still way too sick and I will not bother him with it- his energy belongs to his children/grandkids.

I do have a big respect for all those on here who are experts or even newbies. I especially respect those who took the time to answer my questions whether they are experts or not. I want to learn as much as I can and hopefully retain it all so not to bother others and answer for questions for others too eventually.

Again- didn't mean to offend or challenge or whatever to anyone. I did find the original thread to this interesting, not insulting anyone even if I chose the wrong wording in my response. A Live discussion would certainly help differ ones intentions with responses.

TC all. enjoy collecting.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cat27

Cat27 New Member

Extremely fair response.
    Can you understand that there are some people who are doing this for a hobby but really HOPE to be able to extend it further? I don't mean for money. My time is limited and with that being said I still put 4 to 6 hours a day into researching and trying to understand where I am making mistakes on identifying errors or if a coin is Proof ect. I realize I am still wording things incorrectly but I am Trying. I work when I physically can- have kids like a lot of people do and my husband finds what I'm doing a joke...and im also going through testing/infusions in each arm quite a bit at a hospital to build up my cells to be able to transplant them for my sister who is dying. So- that is why I am very happy and appreciative to Anyone who answered my questions. I feel like I don't have time to proof read everything in life, I totally would if I could.
    I mean it- I hate asking questions to things I want to know answers to so bad. I wasn't trying to be rude. Time here is precious so if I miss out on answers to coins because I misspell- then that is a smaller loss right now. that's all.

I really wasn't mad at all in my First response to Chris.
    IM Sorry.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

A $76,000 collection build with pocket change and flea market finds? The man is a numismatic genius!

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Without further explanation, no.

You as of now have a total of eight total posts to this forum, half of which are to this thread. If all you really want is to ask questions, participate, and learn, why inject yourself into something that has nothing to do with you? Perhaps if you spend a little time here you’ll figure out what the issue is, but I’ll give you a hint: it’s not folks who genuinely want to learn and understand this is a two-way street. If such a person, you’ve nothing to worry about.

LaCointessa likes this.
  6. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Unless that was face value. :)

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

It's also possible he spent some real money on good coins but told his wife he found them in pocket change and at the flea market so she wouldn't give him the business about "wasting" money or not budgeting properly.

Kentucky and LaCointessa like this.
  8. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Do you guys really have to do that? Loolllzz....

9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The most common lie that spouses tell each other is about their spending. I could show you a hundred articles like this one.

10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Crud.... And all this time I thought my secret was safe here.....

LaCointessa and Roman Collector like this.
  11. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

First I thought it was sort of funny...Now I see it as sad. Oh well.

12. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Ding! Ding! Ding! I think we have a winner.

Roman Collector likes this.
  13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Author! Author!

CoinCorgi likes this.
  14. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

Coins for shoes works for me.

15. Cat27

Cat27 New Member

Thank you for your kind response. I mean that. I am new to the desire and excitement over learning the history with coins and collecting. My grandparents and my Uncle built up the Interest and love for starting it...im new but not young haha, late 30's. most I talk to started earlier on. But your response- sweet and cool.thank you.

16. Cat27

Cat27 New Member

yet you respond. I wasn't rude from the beginning but sadly you want to comment without making any positive difference, I hope that changes for you. im sure you have something good to offer that you left out. gl

17. Cat27

Cat27 New Member

Not kidding...should have been what he past down or a freakin vacation of some awesome sort. thanks for the smile!

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

And of course... now it all makes perfect sense. A fine example of why some folks here grow frustrated with certain newer members.

Perhaps you could be so kind as to tell us what is and is not acceptable to say in your presence? If this is how you react to a perfectly innocuous post, it should be the least you can do.

19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You didn't sound mad to me! You were expressing an opinion, to which, I responded. You have no reason to apologize at all!

Chris

Cat27 likes this.
  20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I understand that you can write and you do a mighty fine job of it.
    My only point is that being careless in your attempt. IS going to get many a different Kindled heart response.

Being specific really isn't that hard even if you don't know the terminology. But being respective is. Not to mention one of the rules CT-101.

Welcome Aboard @Cat27
    I did a little surfing and type 2 Mint marks are about the equivalent to 1960 small date/large date. There ae some sets that are full type 1 and others type 2. They are worth more as sets IMO.

21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

@Cat27 Please post some more, We enjoy patrons and new members like you. Some of us have stretches of folks that are unthankful and full of content. I took your post as a negative at first, then I did my homework and was only Pickin. Sorry, if made you feel put down.
    Everyone expects around here that questions are answered. There are folks that beat there head trying to find an answer for the inquisitive new poster. We are helpful, Yet, there are always folks that tend to deny the collective answer.

These folks are the ones who tend to be "Picked On" in a sense.
    Rhetorical answers are always a given around here, but most of the time they are taken in defense.
    Defense: can be taken both ways, and in a teaching situation it is always best to take the offense and relinquish defense to the contributor, These conversations about the collective response interest me. I can only say that Arrogance aside, cornered conversations go no where.

Some one is always at Fault and there is another next door to blame.
    This came out of a proof set. IMG_3746.JPG IMG_3748.JPG

There is a piece of the cellophane stuck to the wing. Was thinking about calling it struck thru plastic.

Keep studying, just when you think that you have hit plateau. You will find a new aspect to this hobby, that you must first study and then make your decision to adopt it, or send it off as here say.

This community allows you to make your own decision with which side you choose. None are denied for their point of view,
    I appreciate it and thank @Peter T Davis + those moderators that help us learn about coins...

Draft saved Draft deleted