Why do we get some many non and new collectors posting common cents on our boards?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by johnmilton, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The moderation is done well around here. In fact a thread and member were banned today.
    There is a lot of patience used and most of the time it is left up to the members to report. If ultimate patience wasn't used we wouldn't have the spirited conversations that CT allows.
    I give them accolades for what they deal with.

-jeffB, LaCointessa and Razz like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

This is one of the best moderated forums I've ever inhabited on the internet. They do such a good job their work is largely invisible. Having had some moderation experience myself in the past, I know how much work they're doing to keep this forum viable. If they stopped what they were doing, this forum would just fall apart.

Sure, some things get by them, but they're also human and have other things to do, just like the rest of us.

-jeffB and LaCointessa like this.
  4. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

There's a flaw in this analogy, Chip.

The people you're training in metal detecting actually want to get good at metal detecting. Of course you're going to be helpful, regardless of how annoying their dumb questions become.

Many (most?) of the treasure-hunting newbies who come to this coin collecting site aren't interested in becoming coin collectors. They're only interested in learning if they've found a rare error Lincoln cent ("don't tell me it's not!") and is it valuable.

OR . . . they've been misled by the internet to believe that treasure hunting for Lincoln errors = coin collecting. When they find out that's not the case, of course there's going to be dissonance.

Legomaster1 and LaCointessa like this.
  5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I guess I don't see the problem. I have a complete set of nolegons in MS, which I would have been happy to discuss. :D

6. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

The evidence I posted suggests otherwise.

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Not taking sides or anything like that. Just saying that from their perspective, I bet it is one tiresome and very thankless nomination.

One Mans Trash and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

What "evidence" please? You posted an example (in msg #60 here) which may not be a shining example of brightness. But the point is, not everything you dislike is a violation of the forum rules. So not everything that in somebody's opinion deserves being deleted, or should result in banning the poster, gets removed. Fortunately so.

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

We have members from all over the world. Some do not speak English.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

I want to add that it seems to me that collectors of coins have a certain sense of humor that, perhaps, others do not share or can't appreciate. I can see that collectors of ancient coins have a different flavor of humor than error collectors/experts.

Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

There is absolutely zero evidence in what you posted should the mods delete it and ban you?
    The point is we have young members and folks that do not know how to speak or right English. Do we shun and push them away because of this? No we don't everyone has the right to be here just as you are not banned because of your opinions/ so called evidence.

12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

1. I don’t think it matters why they came. Some of the collectors here started out trying to make money.
    2. I don’t agree that everyone is treated respectfully and given a “fair shake” on their first post.
    Both of these thoughts are my opinions and I’m okay with agreeing to disagree. :)

longshot and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

It’s not my usual to defend the moderators, but they’re doing an overall fine job in keeping this place from becoming an elitist echo chamber. It’s what attracts me to this forum vs others. Also, remember that not everyone speaks English as their first language. We should be mindful of that. I can only speak three languages fluently and appreciate patience from others when I try to speak their language.

ldhair likes this.
  14. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

everyone of the folks posting questions about "commmon coins" THINK they have found a treasure in hopes of finding that ONE coin that will make them rich. All I can say is the coins I have collected have made me rich inside and have just about broke even at the bank with the purchases of the coins.

Maxfli likes this.
  15. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

I have learned so much here, and have bookmarked some of the best threads here, such as a whole discussion on using acetone. And even though I have an earlier edition, I'm planning on getting t sixth Whitman edition about Morgans. People should take advantage of all media for their research on any topic. The problem is figuring out what to trust.

16. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I think some of the opinions here are basically saying "stop looking for minutia, it's fruitless". You have to question why you are looking for such minute details when you don't even know what they mean. Every coin you newbs post is so damn common I have to wonder why newbs think it is unique. Just wait a day or two and look at your change and you'll find at least one more example of the same kind of damage. Why can't you newbs ever put two and two together!?!?

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hey, you were a new pup once. Probably peed on the floor a time or two as well.

I'm not big on minutiae either, but I think I'd have a hard time convincing Van Allen and Mallis that their work is "fruitless"...

18. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I never peed myself or on the floor (except deliberately). Van Allen and Mallis didn't either I'd wager.

19. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I peed on the floor once after a very long night. And the lady who carried me home that night did not invite me back......

20. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Likes The Feel of Money

I'm going to put that on a plaque and send it to some people I know. :D

21. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Likes The Feel of Money

I hope you don't mind my "two cents", I am a regular on at least six boards and the moderation here, IMO, is very good.

BTW: I just saw Noleg on youtube. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted