Why do we collect coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dctjr80, Jan 2, 2010.

1. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Because it is fun and relaxing. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

It is an escape for me from the pressures of work and family. I can collect leisurely, studying the history as it interests me, and then talk about it with others who share that same fascination.

I don't mind talking about coin collecting with others who are not collectors, but most times I sense a very limited interest level, so I don't go into any depth. The one thing I dislike is being asked by these conversationalists is "how much is it worth?" That, in a way, disrespects all the more important aspects of collecting that draw me in - the artistry, the historical themes/symbolism, and the thrill of the hunt.

4. alpha480v

alpha480v Senior Member

Good comments from everyone so far.

I love to collect coins because of the beauty, artwork, and history. It is a relaxing and interesting hobby to pursue.

It gives me a feeling of accomplishment to be able to see my collection coming together after a time to get that "right" coin to fit into my collection.

Sometimes I drift away and lose interest, but I always seem to come back to the hobby.

It can be addictive at times.

5. Joshycfl

Joshycfl Senior Member

because I like shiny things :)

6. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

I think you nailed it there! For most collectors anyway.

It's never ending learning as well. You can never learn it all. If you think you know it all, then you are setting yourself up for a fall.

One has to consider what was going on in the world at the time each coin was being minted, certain things happened with economies, supply of metals, changes in dies, failures of dies, a time when counterfeits introduced into society, etc. It's never ending learning. That's why CT is such a neat way of learning what others have experienced.

7. ahearn

ahearn Member

I consider myself not so much a collector, but more of someone who simply admires and appreciates finely crafted objects that have historical significance. I have no obsessive compulsive desire to collect every date, every type, every variation, production "errors," or have a *complete* set of anything. I simply buy what I like. That's it.

8. For me, it's all about the history. I've been a diehard fan of history longer then I have collected coins.

When I realized that I could aquire coins from the times and places I enjoyed learning about, I was pretty much hooked.

As it turns out, I tend to do more reading about coins then collecting them. (reading on the internet is free)

It also didn't hurt when I found a stash of my late father's. I am at least the third generation in my family to now be in possesion of them. Seeing those coins, especially the 4 Peace dollars, was a moment that is hard to put into words...but magical would be close...Until that day I didn't even know there was such a thing as a large dollar...Sure, I had heard of silver dollars in the past, but I assumed, as I had nothing to base it on, that they were the same size as the Susan B. Anthony dollar.

9. Prestoninanus

Prestoninanus Junior Member

At first, my interest was no more sophisticated than 'wow, this is Old!' Later, I began to appreciate the history behind the coins. Now, I have a deeper appreciation of the numismatic and economic history a coin represents. An Antoninanus of Gallienus represents the economic crisis in the Roman Empire of the third century. A 1717 Guinea represents the year Britain was unofficially placed on the Gold Standard by Sir Isaac Newton, Master of the Royal Mint, a 2001 Euro represents the birth of a common European currency etc...

10. Lather

Lather Time traver Numismatist

I think it started with the idea of investment with me.. But has changed.. almost as soon as it started..Now has become nearly a form of OCD... If the OCD came out in any other form I guess it could get Bad.. But with this in the Long run I think The Family and Future collectors .. and me.. will come out ahead.

Remember when you would walk by a penny on the ground and NOT pick it up...

11. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

Outstanding answers from everyone. I do honestly know my reasons and will probably always love my coins, but I really wanted to see a thread with people sharing their personal stories with everyone and you guys have all been very inspirational, informative and have brought out the common factors that make all of Numismatists kindred to one another. Thanks!

12. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

To quote Richard Prior ~

They was Home.

Draft saved Draft deleted