Why do TPGs slab COAs?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JeffC, May 17, 2021.

1. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

it's a small premium really, David Ryder signs a lot since he's become director.
    the catch is though you have to submit to the grading company in the sealed mint shipping package, unopened for them to encapsulate the coin and COA together if it is signed or serialized to match the coin with the certificate, and you don't know if it's hand signed or not before you do it.

If it's not hand signed or serialized, they will encapsulate for $20 anytime, but the catch is if it is signed you can't find out beforehand by opening the package or it ruins the matching of that COA and # to that coin and they won't do it. really it's to get more people to gamble on it in my opinion though.

Beefer518 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Indeed.
    Agree...desperate, hard-up, anything to make a another buck. Should only be done at the same time as the coin submitted together, plus should bear the coin cert number on the COA slab label and even maybe even a basic description of the coin (type/denom, date and mint) for which it is the COA.

JeffC likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It is………………

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Big time. Could have been much much worse but fortunately it wasn’t. One of my former teammates ended up needing a plate in his face from getting hit by a fastball close to the eye that he though was a slider and would break

6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Is this kind of like the Beanie Babies' "Tag Savers?"

100-heart-shaped-ty-beanie-baby_1_5016630e36811c53955d30890fbe709a.jpg

Beefer518 likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I read KiA Bib Jones and the same thing went through my mind. I’m a Vietnam Era Vet. And I’m wondering who’s Bob Jones? Lol and I’m sure you got a decent laugh too. :)

8. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

What's next? A photo of the USPS carrier putting it in your mail box?

Penny Luster and Beefer518 like this.
  9. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

10. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

I don't even have to read all the posts to know they have gone to far. Next they will be putting a CAC sticker on them. I have a junk box full of those certificates. Maybe I should hold on to them so some idiot could buy them from me. I don't even want to think about how stupid that idea is. Next they will slab old Whitman penny books. Empty of course. Why, Why again Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

The certification cost is definitely not for me either, as it runs $200 plus per set. That’s about what I paid for the set already slabbed. Spending $25 to slab a COA is even more of a losing proposition IMO.

1865King likes this.
  12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

They'd slab your 'bippy' for the right price.

Penny Luster likes this.
  13. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I have nothing against them trying to make money. I would do it for the right price as well.

John Burgess likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted