Why do TPGs slab COAs?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JeffC, May 17, 2021.

1. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

1. Yes, but not in the PCGS holder of course.
    2. Yes, offered for $25 before S&H by Golden Eagle Coins. Link provided in Post #3.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Golden Eagle is my LCS.
    They will gouge you for everything. I avoid them like the plague.

4. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Looked it up and it wasn't easy, for whatever the reason PCGS offered the "dual encapsulation" for the 2020 W V75 silver eagles also, just like they did for the 2019S ERP SAE that had numbered COAs.
    ... and I'd guess some folks out their paid the additional for it, but found nobody wanted the COA that isn't numbered with the coin when they tried to sell it so it got tossed in when it was sold.

From PCGS:
      • If you would like to have your COA encapsulated and paired with your coin the COA must remain in the unopened packaging.
    • How can I have my COA encapsulated?
      • If the COA is serialized or signed the COA and coin must be submitted to PCGS in sealed U.S. Mint packaging. To encapsulate your COA, we charge a $20 holdering fee and an additional $25 if the sealed COA is signed.
      • Unsigned and non-serialized COA's from any year can be submitted for encapsulation at any time.
      • Visit www.pcgs.com/COA to learn more about COA encapsulation.
    NOW, what I found with more digging was this:
    "The following comes from an e-mail sent to the numismatic press:

The period from May 8 to September 2, 2020, marks the 75th anniversary of the conclusion of World War II. This month, the United States Mint will open sales for the four products in the End of World War II 75th Anniversary Coins and Medal Program.
    To recognize this significant anniversary, a limited number of certificates of authenticity (COAs) for the End of World War II 75th Anniversary silver medal (20XH) will be signed by United States Mint Director David Ryder.
    The signed certificates of authenticity will be randomly included in shipments for this product from the United States Mint’s fulfillment center. The medal goes on sale November 9, 2020."

So, while they all have a copy of his signature, SOME were hand signed, and if you wanted it encapsulated if it was hand signed, it had to be submitted in the mint sealed packaging and you had to gamble on it.

What they are offering appears to be the normal COA otherwise it would have two signatures. but you wouldn't know this before it was graded and encapsulated. they would have paid $20 for it, if it were hand signed they would have paid $45 for it.

they sell it for $25. I don't know who would want it, but that's how it occurred. PCGS offered the COA encapsulation for all the V75 offerings, and if you didn't pay attention to the details of the news release you might think it was in all products and not just with the silver medal, 20XH, or just decide to do it since it's a service offered for them.

this flew way under the radar for me, I didn't know about the hand signed COAs or which product until just now.
    https://mintnewsblog.com/u-s-mint-d...-world-war-ii-75th-anniversary-silver-medals/
    Apparently it showed up on the linked blog, on Nov. 9th, the same day of the release.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  5. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

This is what I’m referring to. A company called OSV removes the coins from the packaging and verifies that the toning is consistent with an original mint set, and then the coins are sent to ANACS for grading.

26A37E56-80E3-4158-B909-E59CC5757D55.jpeg 868CDEDA-36ED-40F9-A817-15560E131020.jpeg DF7D457B-7B6A-43CB-85C5-554F35BBCBF5.jpeg F30B829A-1AC4-4D15-BD31-6D197E7F883C.jpeg

JeffC, PlanoSteve and charley like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think I can do without a slabbed COA. Lol

Beefer518 likes this.
  7. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Now that we can certify authenticity of the COA, shouldn't it be CAC'd as well, to ensure us that the authenticity of the authenticity is authentic? o_O

8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

"Where's the Beef"

Beefer518 likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Afterwards, you should donate it to the Smithsonian for their numismatic collection. You should be able to write off about $25K from your taxes.;)

Beefer518 and charley like this.
  10. John Burgess

CAC is more of an approval process, that the coin is nice for the grade of it, or better than the grade says.

They don't grade the COAs. LOL

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

That about says it all.

John Burgess likes this.
  12. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Thanks for all this info. I see. Maybe the signature in the back is hand signed and that's why it was slabbed?

13. cpm9ball

Hey, if PCGS can go off the deep end, why can't CAC?

14. John Burgess

The announcement I found seemed very clear, it was done for the 20XH 75th anniversary silver medal and not the silver eagle. I think they are just looking to recover the cost and $5 for them probably the shipping from PCGS, see if any takers. just trying to turn a lemon into $25 hahaha

Actually,yeah Found a signed one that sold on ebay for $280.09, the one offered isn't it and just the regular copied signature everyone gets. the hand signed ones has the copied signature they all have, then his signature and a number on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164726976238?hash=item265a7e2eee:g:KBAAAOSw3ppgOV5O&nma=true&si=ndA278io0%2FcK%2FC4IgmD5mXeWB2Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    JeffC likes this.
  15. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I could see a purpose in having the hand signed one slabbed to go with the slabbed coin. I’m sure that if the ones with signed and numbered COA’s carry a premium, that someone could take a standard unsigned COA and copy the signature.

16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

@Collecting Nut that reminds me, I'm retired military.
    I was at a ball game and on the jumbo tron was "KIA Bob Jones"
    So I'm thinking poor Bob was killed.
    It turned out to an add for a car dealer.

17. cpm9ball

Wasn't a batter almost killed in the Mets/Braves game when he got hit in the face with a 96mph fastball?

18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

pillar, multiple face fractures but walked off on his own and doesn’t seem to have any brain injuries

19. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

@cpm9ball
    I can't imagine getting hit in the face with a 96 mph fast ball.
    I know Bryce Harper was hit in the face a week or so ago.
    He said he's fine , I hope so.

20. cpm9ball

SCARY!

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Harper is fine. He didn’t get it dead on and fortunately for him he wears the jaw flap on his helmet so there was some protection. At some point that flap might become mandatory

Draft saved Draft deleted