Why do sestertii cost more than the denari?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, Oct 18, 2020.

1. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@Roman Collector, that's a valid point, eloquently exemplified.

DonnaML and Roman Collector like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

By volume or by number? :D

DonnaML and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Indeed. That's why I've bought about a dozen Provincials in the last six months. About half from Roman Alexandria, and the rest from a variety of locations, including my Macrinus/Diadumenian Pentassarion from Marcianopolis with a Hermes reverse, and a Gordian III/Tranquillina AE26 from Anchialus in Thrace with an Apollo reverse. I know that some people think Provincials are ugly and crude, and some are, but I find a lot of them very appealing.

Macrinus & Diadumenian - Hermes photo jpg.jpg Gordian III - Tranquillina Anchialus (Thrace) - jpg version.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Johndakerftw, Bing, Edessa and 4 others like this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

deleted

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Ryro likes this.
  6. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Who, exactly, are you trying to start an argument with?

7. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

The sestertius provides an artist a larger format with work with, so often the final coins can be very appealing at many levels. Because of this, emperors often liked to use sestertii as a means to convey victories, architectural achievements, and other political messages, such as distributing largess to the public at large.

Also, bronze can acquire very attractive patinas of varying colors and shades, something that silver can not really equal, but this is a double-edge sword: bronze, being a highly reactive metal, can corrode quite easily, so really beautiful sestertii, with nice strikes and smooth, glossy patinas, are indeed very scarce to rare.

But, there can be almost equally elegant die work on a denarius, and some types, such as the Julius Caesar denarius, regularly fetch very healthy prices at auctions and private sales.

Draft saved Draft deleted