Why do Mexico's Libertad 1 oz coins sell higher than others?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by iPen, Nov 13, 2015.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Why are Mexico's Libertad 1 oz coins selling for higher amounts than other country's coins of the same year? I noticed that the Libertad is at least $2-3 more to buy than, say, the Great Britain or Australian 1 oz coins of the same year (I'm only considering the latest year, so 2015 or 2016). The mintage for the Libertad is in the hundreds of thousands. Is it simply because there's a relatively lower supply compared to the other country's offerings? Or, is there something else going on, such as restricted access/flow of these rounds by Mexico's Mint?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I always thought the Libertads were priced a little lower.

4. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Not according to eBay for BU coins from large coin dealers... the prices fluctuate constantly (I believe several times an hour via an eBay app) on their listing based on current silver prices.

The price ranking for the latest year 0.999 silver rounds is as follows:

Mexico > Great Britain > Australia > USA > Canada

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

6. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

Sex appeal.

jester3681 likes this.
  7. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Mex appeal.

:)

medjoy and Kentucky like this.
  8. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

But seriously... why?

Currency exchanges may have a slight impact, but it doesn't explain the drastic difference between the US dollar and the Peso. If you just look at the supply and demand figures between those two nations, it appears clear cut. However, include some of the other major 1 oz silver round issuing nations into the mix, and the data gets more confounded. I suspect that the supply of Mexico's Libertad is being artificially restricted.

For the 1 oz 0.999 silver rounds, the mintage (for all mint locations) & lowest eBay buy it now price by a major coin dealer are as follows:

- Canada Maple Leaf: 29,245,000 | $20.25
    - Australia Kangaroo: **N/A | $20.50
    - Great Britain Britannia: *1,000,000 | $20.69
    - US ASE: *44,006,000 | $20.75
    - Mexico Libertad: 903,000 | $24.02

*2014 figure since 2015 data is not yet available
    **Recent mintage info is not readily/easily available; though the Perth Mint advertises an unlimited mintage, the available info from 2011 suggests that the mintage for any single coin type has never met or exceeded 1,000,000. Advertised as 0.9999 silver purity.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Never discount the 'demand' factor. Perhaps there is more demand (and less product) for the Libertads?

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Or perhaps I'm stating the obvious.......

11. ddddd

ddddd Member

The 2014 Libertads had lower than usual mintages, so I think many dealers/ebay sellers/buyers were speculating that 2015 would also be low and thus rose prices ahead of time. By the way, mintages were released this week and the 2015 1 oz is one of the higher mintages in the series.

http://world.mintnewsblog.com/2015/11/libertad-mintage-day-is-here/

12. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

I think if you watch this over a longer period of time, like a couple years, you may find that the Libertads are sometimes relatively cheap. I can't explain the variation.

Also, I wouldn't look so much to eBay for rational pricing, but rather to the big bullion retailers.

And also, sex appeal ;)

Morgandude11 likes this.
  13. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

The Onza's are simply a beautiful silver round. It comes from one of the oldest mint's in the North and South American regions and the "demand" is high for these gems. I like the writing on the sides of the coins for the older ones and the newer ones beauty has an appeal that most collectors seek. The Mexican and Austria silver rounds, to me, are the most collectible. :smuggrin:

Morgandude11 and medjoy like this.
  14. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

The Austria ones are nice because they tend to be cheaper in price for single or bulk purchases of silver (the Philharmonic ones) - good if you want to simply invest in high grade physical silver.

And, the Mexico ones are very well designed. And, don't get me started about the proofs - they're even more expensive... but I settled on the regular one... for now.

Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted