Why do folks use thumbnails?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ldhair, May 3, 2015.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I know there must be a reason. Why not just post images full size? Seems like a lot of extra click for those that wish to see the image.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I always click full size.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I've been sayin' the same thing since day one of this software upgrade Larry. Peter allows us to post much larger files so why not capitalize on that privilege? Thumbnails serve no purpose when it comes to looking at the details on a coin. Many photos posted in larger formats can be 'blown up' for easy viewing........

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Could be any number of reasons, but I suspect the primary reason is because thumbnails are the default.

coinzip likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I thought it might have something to do with those on mobile devices.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Maybe computers too - they just forget to click the full size option, so the default is posted.

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, if you're on a slow connection, the thumbnails load a lot faster. And if you're on a metered connection, it's good to be able to choose whether you want the large image. But in either case, it really ought to be under your control as you're viewing the page, not under the poster's control when making the post.

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I prefer full size too. But they come in handy when there is many many images in one post.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm on an average DSL connection at home. With a thumbnail, I click on it and wait for it to load. To see the larger image I have to click again and it opens in a new window. I now have to click again to close that window. Next I have to close the thumbnail to get back to the thread. I'm not saying that's a lot of work but it is a bit slow.

11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I often wonder too, and there are times I don't bother to look

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I right click the name of the thumbnail and tell it to open in a new tab. I look at it and can either switch back to the original tab or close the new tab and I am right back in the thread.

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Thanks. That works really well.

Draft saved Draft deleted