Why do dealers touch the coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pilkenton, Mar 23, 2012.

1. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Fingers should not touch coin surfaces. That's all there is to it.
    Lance.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

OUCH Ike. That is a great coin regardless but yeah that thumb print kicks it down a peg :(

The surfaces should NEVER be touched, darn right! But to say we need to wear gloves when handling coins by the edges is silly to me.

Coinmanryan likes this.
  4. Coinmanryan

Coinmanryan Member

I have a 1937 S ms 64 Washington quarter ina PCGS holder that has a partial fingerprint on the reverse side through the word quarter up to about the branch that the eagle is setting on. I paid $288 for this coin and didn’t discover it until I had time to set down with my magnifying glass to look at it. If the angle is just right you can see it. It really made me mad.

5. Coinmanryan

Coinmanryan Member

I have a 1937 S ms 64 Washington quarter ina PCGS holder that has a partial fingerprint on the reverse side through the word quarter up to about the branch that the eagle is setting on. I paid $288 for this coin and didn’t discover it until I had time to set down with my magnifying glass to look at it. If the angle is just right you can see it. It really made me mad.

6. Coinmanryan

Coinmanryan Member

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

As long as they handle the coins by the edges, I don't have a problem.

Back in the '70s there are plastic coin tongs that you could buy. Sure, you could avoid putting your fingers on any part of the coin, but if you slipped up with the things, the coin could go flying. Finger prints can be a problem, but rim dings and scratches are immediately much worse.

8. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Pardon my French, but what a Jack ass.

9. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

But this is just a common uncirculated wheat cent. That's all. Of course I am being sarcastic but I loathe going to most coin dealers to be honest, locally anyways. And here's another thing about some coin dealers, they assume that every person who comes into a coin shop doesn't know diddly-squat about coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted