why do coin shops close so early....AAAAH

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cmilladoo, Apr 4, 2013.

1. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I always wondered how people with 9-5 jobs did anything. How do they bank, go to the post office, or any other civic office? Guess I've always been lucky (well, not really) to not have set hours but work on-call.
    Guy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

'Cause lots and lots of bad guys come out at night?

4. aronsamma

aronsamma Active Member

This is a frustration of mine too. There are 3 coin stores in the general vicinity of my commute, and they all close at 5. It seems like it would be lucrative to move the hours to noon-8pm so working people have a chance to go spend money.

Although, it might be for the best because I would be spending a lot more on coins than I already do.

5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

The people who run coin stores have a life also and lots of things to do to keep the shops open. So if the shop closes at 5 or 6 - then why don't you change your hours so you can run by before they close? The LCS server a diverse population so they pick the best set of hours they can. Now that my local favorite coin shop is closed on saturday I visit less often, but will even go so far as to take vacation time to visit if I feel the need. I usually only visit once a month now a days.

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Well, there's lunch breaks, or they need to take (half) a day off. And of course many things can be done online these days. Where I live, many supermarkets are open until 10 pm or midnight, but banks close at 4 pm or so. These days the latter is not really a problem any more, as I hardly ever go into a bank any more ...

As for coin stores (B&M), my assumption is that people who are retired can deal with such opening hours fairly easily. If a nine-to-five place is open on Saturday, others can conveniently go there too. :)

Christian

7. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I can never get to a coin shop except on the weekends, since the nearest one is about an hour away. I do get to some antique stores and places after work, but I only have about an hour on a good day.

8. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

One of the nice things I like about working in retail. I work most Sundays and Saturdays while everyone else is out shopping in the crowds. My days off are during the week while everyone else is at work. I don't have to fight the crowds. When I visit my LCS on a Tuesday or a Thursday, I am often the only customer in the store.:)

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Because they have to work another job to support the family.

Chris

10. imtired

imtired New Member

It can be difficult. Then there are some who are closed on Wednesday. Which you don't notice till you show up on guess when? I know of an owner who hired help so he could extend his hours. The employee was pushing his personal stuff. I will often call ahead to make sure they're open and to see who's there. One of the owners will discount and the other not.

11. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Active Member

I would think that a good business owner would know when his most traffic'd times were and would be open to maximize potential. Also, in the middle of the day especially for something like a coin shop they can sit and go through inventory, stuff they just bought to put on the shelves, package up stuff, etc, thus not having to stay open after hours to do those sorts of things. Remember also with mom & pops, they may have families as well that they'd like to go home to and eat dinner with, unlike larger stores/chains where they can hire help for those hours for them.

But, I agree with the 9-5 being inconvenient for most working stiffs, me being one of them. Been a long time since I worked in a retail store, but I always remember the mid-afternoons being real slow in general. I'd wonder if some shops might be better off adopting a "siesta" type schedule, say 9-2, close for a couple hours and then reopen from 4-7. This way you can get the morning folks, hit the ones who are out on their lunch hours, take some time off to do "administrative things", and then open up for the folks getting out of work and stopping by on the way home. Not the same industry, but my Vet does something similar, which makes it easy for us to get our pets to them on a better schedule and not have to take time off work.

I do agree with the thought of talking to your local owner. As someone who previously owned a business, if someone asked me to help them off hours where I knew it would beneficial for me, I would certainly try to work something out every once in a while. Happy initial customers usually became happy repeat customers. Worst they can say is "no", and then there's always that www-interweb thinghy. :)

12. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

The one I go to closes at 6, but if he is there after hours which he is many days he will let you in.

Draft saved Draft deleted