Why did this trade $ get an ms60 grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by goldrealmoney79, Dec 5, 2021.

1. goldrealmoney79

goldrealmoney79 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I feel the coin has lost a great deal of luster over the years. Maybe a few too many dips in it's life. I can't really tell who graded it.

GH#75 likes this.
  4. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

ITS/CTS? The holder reminds me of ICCS, the Canadian grading service.

5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I'm assuming it's just a coin dealer's flip with insert.

Please don't shoot ole blind Bob, he's doing the best he can.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Sure looks like a details coin—AU details, cleaned. No way it straight grades at MS 60.

7. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

It isn't "graded", just a number on the flip. Can't tell anything about surface preservation from the photos, but looks overly bright.

Morgandude11 and Evan Saltis like this.
  8. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

AU details and I wouldn't call it graded,just a piece of paper with a number and some details,wouldn't consider buying this coin either.

9. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Looks like somebody "won it" for $2400.

10. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

It just sold actually.

11. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

My issue is it's not graded. Plus the seller has few sales of mixed items from coins to books to clothes. Also, if I was selling a coin I would have better pictures, especially not ones using the automatic crop out the background eBay feature.
    Their's is a little better...lol. Coin in a separate mylar pouch in the flip then heat sealed. At least you could detect tampering this way. But I only own 2 ICCS coins, a Maundy penny and a Canadian test token, so maybe the process is different with larger coins.

12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Buying raw Trade Dollars is dangerous because of the counterfeit problem. The pictures provided here are not good enough to pass judgement on this piece. This would have been an emphatic pass for me.

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The MS-60 is from the days when everything was MS-60, Unc- but not very attractive;
    MS-63 Choice Unc;
    and MS-65 Really, really nice.

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Counterfeit trade dollars have been around for quite a while. I still have my "tuition" coin.

I was working on a 19th century type set during the late 70s when I was teen. I saved all the lawn mowing, snow shoveling, and birthday money to buy coins. Payed $55 for one, which at the time was the most I ever paid for a coin. Found out about 10 years later it was a decent fake. I'm still disappointed.

15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It's great that you stayed with the hobby after you were cheated. To me, counterfeits are the worst of all. At least if you have something that is genuine, you can enjoy the fact that it come from the era indicated by the date even if it's over graded, damaged or cleaned.

Draft saved Draft deleted