Why collect these mint sets?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Wandering Man, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Wandering Man

Wandering Man Member

I’m going through a friend’s inherited hoard of coins. And have finally taken a close look ot this box of proof sets. I’m just trying to figure out what might have been going through her father’s mind.

I’ve got 8 complete sets of 1969 mint sets, two sets with just the 1969 D and Plain coins. And two 1968 sets with just the S coins. BAD1E0DE-DC52-4EF6-9938-67892072B0F2.jpeg

00100DEB-F847-4678-9E85-BE16DE0FAAD0.jpeg

2A2FCB2F-AC87-4F06-B63F-CC129A3B471A.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Someone bought the holders and put these sets together. Not a mint product. I don't think any of them are proof coins.

Seattlite86 and Inspector43 like this.
  4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Just a different way of holding coins that were pleasing to the collector.

5. Wandering Man

Wandering Man Member

They were packed tight in a box with the mailing label of Big State C.C. in Dallas, Texas. Anyone heard of them?

6. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

Never heard of them myself. But they do show up in a number of old magazines and comic books from the 1960s, including this copy of Popular Mechanics that is on Google books.

I would assume that they may have been generally a mail order outfit targeting non-collectors.

Wandering Man likes this.
  7. Wandering Man

Wandering Man Member

2019 11 03 Roosevelt Dimes (1).jpg 2019 11 03 Roosevelt Dimes (3).jpg
    Interesting. A box of 10 sounds like something he bought. Still leaves me wondering why this year and these coins.

Thanks for doing the research.

BTW, I've noticed that some of the dimes have marks around the nose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted