Why Can't I Buy Coins on Ebay

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dimeguy, May 23, 2014.

1. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Yes, I changed the password and all that jazz, but I am recently running into new found issues:

Scenario 1: I found an awesome 1935 S Lincoln I wanted. I attempt to make an offer and I receive the message, "Seller is not accepting bids or offers from you at this time." I have bought from the seller before. I have received good feedback and I left him the same. I simply thought it may have been a fluke, so I attempt to ask seller about it and I receive message, "We're sorry. Unfortunately seller is not able to respond to your questions at this time." Again, I figured it was a fluke and watched through tearful eyes as my cent goes to another seller.

Scenario 2: I found an awesome 1935 D Lincoln I wanted. I attempt to bid and I receive the message, "Seller is not accepting bids or offers from you at this time." I have never bought from this seller before. I attempt to contact them and lord and behold, "We're sorry. Unfortunately seller is not able to respond to your questions at this time." At this point, I figured, "Hmm...odd it happened twice." I contact Ebay customer support in which they responded with, "You may be blocked by seller. Nothing more we can tell you."

I am very tempted to buy a cheap dime just to see if I can bid. Anyone else having these same difficulties? I have found a nice series of cents I want to bid on but they are slipping away!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

At times various portions of the ebay platform are not functional due to backups or other server maintenance. Perhaps you attempted this during one of those times?

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Sounds like they have you blocked.

5. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

I block buyers with unpaid strikes against them etc.

6. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

But why would I be blocked from a buyer I had a good relation with and with whom I have never done business?

7. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

If you can get the contact information for the seller you had bought from before, through the completed transaction of the last purchase, and call him and explain what happened to you when you tried to bid on another of his coins. eBay will not help you in any way as you just found out.

Travlntiques likes this.
  8. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

I belive it is possible that seller's may block a person if they have less than a certain amount of feedback precent.

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

They have you blocked for sure. From the rest of your story, I would suggest you call eBay. There may be a simple problem. They won't bite and most can really be helpful.

10. BHPM Trader

BHPM Trader Active Member

I, like many people on here, sell a lot of ions on EBay. As a seller, there are a variety of different criteria that we can set up to avoid the type of buyers that tend to be a problem. You can automatically block buyers that have had x amount of cases opened against them. It doesnt matter if they have ever bought from you before. You can set it to avoid non paying bidders and people with a certian amount of negative feedback over a pre-determined amount of time.

I realize that the original poster probably knows this already and I am not trying to suggest that they're a problem buyer. Have you by chance had a recent problem on EBay? Like a negative or anything that can be deemed a problem?

11. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

my block list is a mile long. If I see someone leaves a lot of negatives or neutrals, they get blocked. If you have multiple unpaid items or something like that, you get blocked. Not worth the potential hassle.

BHPM Trader likes this.
  12. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

Maybe you can provide more info?
    Have you backed out of any purchases or done anything at all to end up blocked by sellers?

13. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

There are pre-settings that disallow people to bid on your items who have had cases opened on them and what-not within a period of time. They probably didn't block you but set the disallow setting. Have you had some cases?

14. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

These are the reasons a buyer may be blocked:
    Don't have a PayPal account
    Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 Month(s)
    Have a primary shipping address in a location I don't ship to
    Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 6 Month(s)
    Have a feedback score of -1 or lower

15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I would buy a cheap dime just to find out if you can buy from a regular seller or if you've been blocked from everyone. Maybe you've been blocked for having 5 unpaid items and you don't even know it. Some bidders on ebay get so excited on some coins that they write E checks and they get their axxes in a sling because they don't totally understand how those E checks work. good luck!

16. I wonder how long these blocks continue before they are lifted. I would just move onto other sellers.

17. rickmp

If you are blocked for these reasons,
    all you have to do is correct them and/or live them out.

If you are specifically blocked by user name, unless the seller removes your name from his blocked list, it's forever.

18. Interesting that the block is forever and you cannot contact the seller either to make it right. This may be the only way a seller can truly give feedback on eBay.

19. rickmp

I have many buyers blocked. Maybe eBay could look at blocked buyers to find some patterns and permanently ban them from all of eBay.

20. Maybe some sort of habitual offender rule. You get blocked by 3 sellers and you get banned from eBay for some period of time. Once you reach 10 lifetime blocks, you are done.

rickmp likes this.
  21. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Just a little background information since it was asked: I have 100% positive feedback rating with feedback score of 143. As far as I know I do not have any unpaid items or cases opened against me. I am sure I would be alerted if I did have a case against me, though I am not sure why if I have 100% positive feedback. As for the seller I am familiar with, I have bought 12 coins from him before. Granted, I always provided a reasonable offer and he has accepted all of them except one, so I am not sure if he blocked me because I always offer or what the issue may be. Regardless, on all 12 transactions I have received and provided positive feedback.

I did try to buy a random cheap dime and did receive the same message of, "Seller not accepting bids or offers from you at this time." I'm not sure if I just have a global block on me or what, but will plan to dig a little deeper with Ebay this morning. I bought something nearly 10 days ago, so I'm not sure why, but guess it is time to find out.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciate it.

Draft saved Draft deleted