Why can't a slab be 100% airtight and watertight ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Doug21, Jul 3, 2011.

1. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I didn't see anything that said the slabs were waterproof. Also, I think people are more concerned about airtight than waterproof. Osmosis is less likely than molecular penetration of smaller elements, FWIW.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OK, show me one. You take one of their slabs and submerge it in water overnight, show me pictures. Then show pictures taken the next day. Because frankly, I do not believe your claims.

It is well known and documented that none of the TPG slabs are watertight or airtight, let alone vacuum sealed. So if this company, CCCS, produces one then I find it really hard to believe that they would not advertise the fact as it would be their biggest and most valuable selling point.

Let alone not even mentioning they use hard slabs on their own web site.

4. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Not my claims - but I know the owner of CCCS, during the 2007 RCNA convention in Ottawa, when he introduced those slabs, took one of his slabbed coins and threw it in hotel's water fountain for a full day and night - then pulled the coin out the next day to display for everyone to inspect. Water proof in the strictest sense of the word?? Probably not, especially with any decent water pressure - but certainly enough to protect your coins from flooding (which was the example given earlier in this thread).

I would like to prove it you - but I like to play the registry set game, so I don't have any of my coins in CCCS hard slabs. Plus, their grading is not as consistent as PCGS (I am a PCGS fan for grading of Canadian coins). Most collectors I know use CCCS to slab error coins or one of the oddball Canadian varieties - because simply it is cheaper than sending error coins south of the border to NGC or PCGS - we have no other alternatives for hard slabs up here.

I agree with you 100% about the lack of advertisement with this company and their website. They are shooting themselves in the foot with such a poor marketing strategy - a fact well known in the Canadian collecting community. Also, the owner of CCCS (Louis Chevrier) owns Lower Canada Auctions: http://www.lowercanadaauction.com/ (a potential conflict of interest, in my opinion, especially when auctioning off CCCS certified coins) - so they dropped the ball with advertising completely - that poor website has not been updated since like 2004... In my opinion, if they really wanted to market their stuff, they should have a slabbed coin sitting inside a fish tank, right on a table at a coin show...

5. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

I think we will see it in the near further the teck is in place to do it with monster glass. Will probably be a upper end type of grading and preservation service that might cost at least $100.00 or so per coin. Not for the common stuff but see a market for the high end items.
    Would see items like the 1943 copper cents in something like this to insure they stay stable.

6. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

To answer your question, yes, current existing technology can be adapted to overcome the problems of "slab outgassing", moisture/gas entrapment/migration, differential pressure destruction, mechanical bond destruction, integrity of bond, etc.. Now, longevity of seal integrity is another subject.

I've designed/applied appropriate technology in the past to rapidly sterilize/stabilize the atmosphere inside of medical products wrappings, implementing a hermetic seal for shipping/storage without contamination.

It would require "thinking outside the box" of current slab design. If I thought that economics/demand would justify same, I'd apply for a patent on the slab design. I believe the immediate facilities/equipment for environmental alteration/isolation, encapsulation, housing redesign aren't justified by the gains realized, potential interest, nor economics/liabilities.

Unlike food products which have a relatively short "use life" (i.e. "use by date"), the slab would need a design to resist degradation for probably minimally a century, or the degradation life of the housing material. Current housings (i.e. "slabs") have hardly existed for a quarter century, and I wouldn't expect a "seal" applied to current design to last even a couple decades.

JMHO :thumb:

7. GDJMSP

SPP - the reason I am so skeptical about their slabs being watertight is because nobody else's slabs are watertight. And the reason they are not watertight is because of the sonic sealing process used on them. It is a haphazard process at best and in no way does it completely weld the two halves of the slab together all the way around - it leaves gaps. Small gaps to be sure, but big enough to allow the penetration of water into the slab.

There was a time, a few years ago, when NGC experimented with an "airtight" slab. They even advertised it for a while, and charged extra for it. But it quickly went away because it was found to be ineffective and could not live up to the claims.

This is found on the NGC web site -

[TABLE="class: infotableFAQ, width: 100%"]
    [TR="class: question"]
    [TD="bgcolor: #CCD1E5"]Q. After encapsulation, can the appearance of a coin change over time?
    [/TD]
    [/TR]

A. Yes. In independent testing, the NGC security holder has been proven as the most effective grading service holder on the market today in minimizing the effects of oxidation. Even so, the NGC holder is not 100% airtight. Therefore oxidation, a normal process where air reacts with the surface of a coin, can continue after encapsulation. To further limit environmental hazards, we recommend storing your coins in a temperature-controlled, low-humidity area such as a bank safety deposit box. Be sure to check with your bank for rules and regulations concerning the storage of these items.

[/TABLE]

8. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Maybe I should purchase a cheaper example in one of those slabs and do an experiment with immersion and timed photography. Or send in a brown large cent, and then immerse the slab in vinegar - that should photograph well!

In the meantime, I have sent an email to the owner of CCCS, asking him for further details. I'll share the reply.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You know, we do have the technology to do a truly airtight display holder -- every LCD display and every plasma display is "truly airtight". They're cheap to manufacture in bulk, and they tolerate the pressure changes associated with air shipping.

On the other hand, I don't know how well you could adapt those processes to accept individual coins, rather than mass-produced identical display circuitry.

10. GDJMSP

Sure we have the technology. They had the technology to produce, for all intents and purposes, airtight coin holders even 200 years ago. (see below) But the question is can a watertight & airtight (and they are not the same thing, a container can be watertight and yet not be airtight) slab be produced on a cost effective basis, and a practical basis ?

Unfortunately, the answer is no.

watt-shells_large.jpg

James Watt Jr. of the British Royal Mint produced these special coin holders (said to be airtight) in the early 1800's for some coins of his own collection. They were made of brass and lined with silver. Those coins remained in those holders until 2002 when they were slabbed by NGC.

But imagine the cost, and of course you couldn't see the coins without opening the holders.

harris498 likes this.
  11. imrich

Simple Modifications/Procedures Would Allow Sealed Holder!!

When I designed a production facility for sealed Fresnel lenses 40+ years ago, I used a robotic X-Y-Z servo driven table to apply a continuous bead of Silicone adhesive (in a controlled atmosphere) between the outer layers and the inner lens. This design allowed a hermetically sealed plastic lens relatively impervious to adverse outside conditions. I believe this technology is currently used with Ultra-Violet cured adhesives to produce the products to which you refer.

The afore-mentioned process is acceptable for relatively "short-lived" commercial products. The mitigating application of adhesive is acceptable for products of the nature discussed, but probably isn't conducive for an acceptable precious coin seal, because of potential "out-gassing", and longevity of adhesives. A labyrinth would need to be installed between the inside and outside surfaces to eliminate "gas" migration.

There is a commercial product currently on the market, which I believe when minutely modified, applied in a controlled environment, and properly sealed would effect the desired seal. The seal could be generated through Ultra-Sonic bonding, and UV adhesive exterior application.

I suspect that with proper procedures and a desiccant environment, a novice could also relatively inexpensively protect their coins at home with minimal effort.

JMHO :thumb:

12. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Good idea!

In the mean time, here are some photos of an Everslab made by Leuchtturm, 5 min. under water...

http://monety.pl/viewtopic.php?p=176253&highlight=#176253

13. GDJMSP

I have personally taken NGC slabs, PCGS slabs, Air-Tites, and several other hard plastic coin holders, put them underwater overnight, and in the morning there was water in every one of them - every time.

And you might want to read what it says in that link you posted torontokuba - the guy doing the test says the slab leaked. And after only 5 minutes.

14. torontokuba

Why would I want to read it again?

15. WeirdFishes

WeirdFishes Active Member

Ok, I just want to point out that there was a thread in one of the other forums in which I discussed topics such as airtight, vacuum sealed, etc. It sounds like the original poster was asking if slabs are currently airtight or vac sealed, and if they aren't sealed properly could they be at a price which would not be cost prohibitive. Answers are current slabs are advertised as being "airtight" (no vac seal), and with regards to the second question the cost of properly storing coins for the LONG HAUL can be done fairly inexpensively though it would require someone with both the know how and the proper tools to maintain coins in a state of preservation. Steamfitters, Refer Techs, Maint. Tradesman, these would be people who would most likely be able to design a means of storage. The main problem todays TPG slabs have is that they are unfortunately made of a plastic. Plastic, by its its very nature, IS NOT USED IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF A PRESSURE VESSEL. Plastic is porous and simply can not be sealed. Metal (copper, brass, stainless) and Glass can be fashioned into pressure vessels. I would be happy to post a more thorough and clear description of the various terminology being used, and how to understand what is what.

16. WeirdFishes

WeirdFishes Active Member

I am not sure. Is an ultrasonic weld capable of holding or maintaining pressure or a vacuum?

17. imrich

I believe you'll find I stated an optimum process would be conjunctive "The seal could be generated through Ultra-Sonic bonding, and UV adhesive exterior application".

A direct answer to your question is YES, when a properly designed labyrinthical (versus flat surface bonding) round seal is produced. A round ultrasonic horn of the correct mass, applied at a proper frequency, could easily effect same. I could easily enjoin with a manufacturer of an existing product to produce an economical effective enclosure.

In my opinion, the companies charging Megabucks for their services appear to be limited in their "outside the box" thought processes when redesigning their products. I'm certain that I could enjoin with any of them to produce a premier effective product. I believe the problem is merely the NIH manufacturing syndrome, and political management with limited technical skills.

JMHO

18. GDJMSP

Question for you, where have you ever seen this advertisement that slabs are airtight being made ? And by whom ?

I ask because I'll readily agree with you that there seem to be a lot of people who "think" slabs are airtight. But I have never seen any advertisement or claim made by the TPGs - other than the one I previously mentioned above regarding NGC's discontinued slab - that their slabs are airtight.

19. GDJMSP

Rich -

If I understand correctly it sounds like you are saying that you think that if the sealing process were changed that the acrylic slabs used by the TPGs could be made airtight. Am I understanding you correctly ?

I hope not, because the acrylic plastic itself used in the slabs is air permeable and for that reason alone they could never be made airtight, no matter what they did to the seal between the two halves of the slab.

20. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Thank you all for the information, this is quite informative. 'imrich', your knowledge of sealing processes brings a lot of interesting data to the table.

21. torontokuba

Tell that to any bottle of pop. I believe if it keeps the pop and bubbles in, it would suffice for coin purposes, no?

imrich likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted