Why aren't copper-plated zinc cents considered "clad?"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCro57, Jun 13, 2018.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

If clad means "multiple layers of metal," and cents since mid-1982 have a zinc core with micro copper plating, isn't that "multiple layers of metal?" Thus, isn't it clad?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

2 Different processes that's why.. I will try to get the info

By the way.. your title is confusing.. It should say Copper Coated Zinc Cents

Amos 811 and JCro57 like this.
  4. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Clad doesn't mean "multiple layers of metal". It means it is copper and nickel based; and a zinc penny is zinc with copper plating.

5. paddyman98

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cladding_(metalworking)

Cladding
    is the bonding together of dissimilar metals. It is different from fusion welding or gluing as a method to fasten the metals together. Cladding is often achieved by extruding two metals through a die as well as pressing or rolling sheets together under high pressure.
    The United States Mint uses cladding to manufacture coins from different metals. This allows a cheaper metal to be used as a filler.

JCro57 and mikenoodle like this.
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Copper-coated zinc cents are entitled to their own special description, most of which probably will get you banned from the site.

JCro57 likes this.
  7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Whereas copper-coated zinc cents are basically plated, not clad.

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

Copper Plating -
    Definition - What does Copper Plating mean?
    Copper plating is an electro-chemical process, in which a layer of copper is deposited on the metallic surface of a solid through the use of electric current.

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I take it to mean that a plated coin is coated with a metal, and cladding is more like two metals being forced into a single “chunk”.

Technically both processes make a single metallic entity and in that way, they’re similar.

My opinion or understanding is that cladding involves 2 metals being pressured to make them bond, whereas plating involves enveloping one metal inside of a coating of another.

In a clad metal you can see the individual metals, vs plating where you can’t

10. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I honestly knew that. Not Sure why I typed that

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted