Why are toned coins so popular?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by sakata, Apr 1, 2017.

1. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Let me say up front, I am not trying to belittle toned coins or to put down those who collect them. I am really trying to understand.

I just don't get it. What is so attractive about a coin which has been so disfigured? I know people love them, but I just don't understand why. I would never buy one, at least not unless it was at a considerable discount. I find all those colors too distracting and disfiguring. Give me a nice clean BU coin any day.

So please, can we have a civil discussion of what makes them attractive to you. It is just one of those aesthetic things which cannot be explained? Or am I missing something more?

Jeffjay, vintagemintage and RickO like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Because they are unique. If you take a blast white MS65 morgan, it will look like every other blast white 65 morgan out there. If it has attractive and unique toning, it is one of a kind.

Jaelus, benoit, john65999 and 8 others like this.
  4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

+1
    Edit: Also, metals are reactive, toning does occur over time. Collectors prize original surfaces, and toning attests (or so we hope) that a coin has not been recently cleaned.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

But there are plenty of ugly things in the world which are unique. That to not make them attractive.

6. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

Some of the toning that silver takes is so BEAUTIFUL!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Indeed. Every circulated coin in my pocket right now is "unique", too, but I'll guarantee that they wouldn't bring a premium due to their "unique" patterns of dings, scrapes, and worn areas.

Toned coins bring a premium because some people think they're attractive. But it's also apparently important to really believe that they were toned "naturally", with the chemical contaminants that impart color deposited over a long time, rather than quickly in a lab -- never mind that the deposited compounds are exactly the same either way.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If everyone liked the same thing, which automobile do you think would take over the market?

Chris

MIGuy, Kelly Capone, MisterWD and 3 others like this.
  9. deefree

deefree Active Member

Attractive toning adds another dimension of artfulness to coins. (which already are artful)

geekpryde, Two Dogs, micbraun and 2 others like this.
  10. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

This is why ugly toned coins do not go for a premium, only pretty ones.

Two Dogs, sakata and spirityoda like this.
  11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

isetta.jpg

MIGuy, JAY-AR, Johndoe2000$ and 3 others like this.
  12. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Idk, they're pretty. SOMETIMES.
    I've seen people with disgustingly hazed Ike's fawn over the "toning".
    I like just a bit of color around the edges, I not a fan of crazy rainbows.

MisterWD likes this.
  13. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

they are beautiful, sometimes.

ValpoBeginner and spirityoda like this.
  14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It is the eventual presentation of every metal, It says that the coin has some originality.
    Weather or not Nt or At, Buy what you like.

Kentucky and Paul M. like this.
  15. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

I think there are some very nice looking toned coins, and some very not nice looking toned coins. I think that matters more than just having toning when it comes to adding (or subtracting) value.

Kelly Capone likes this.
  16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

it's all in the eye of the beholder. I love toned coins. blast white coins look very boring to me on some coins. granted I have bought ultra cameo white Canadian coins and like them a lot. at the present time I am doing a toned Canadian caribou quarter set 1937-1967 and toned 50 cent collection 1937-1967. toned coins have so much character and are very pretty to me. with time you can tell which coins are artificaly toned and which ones look natural.

Kelly Capone, bsowa1029 and Paul M. like this.
  17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

how old are you ? and how long have you been collecting coins ?

18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

here are a few of my toned coins that give me the warmest fuzzy feeling inside me.... that bring me great joy...

80818443_Large copy.jpg
    s-l16004rfedrdftttc.jpg
    1966 toned Canada 25cents.jpg
    yoda q.jpg
    s-l1600 1963 A.jpg
    $_1.jpg
    DSC_7139.jpg
    10606555_596250953828840_6875750247957024763_n.jpg cc 13 028 copy.jpg
    cc13 007.jpg

need I say more ???

mark943, capthank, john65999 and 18 others like this.
  19. Aircldtype3

Aircldtype3 Active Member

I really like attractively toned coins. It shows originality and character. In fact recently I've gotten away from collecting anything in blast white, particularly in my morgan and peace dollar collection. Because they all started to look exactly the same.

That being said, I won't go out of my way to buy a toned coin at some of the ridiculous premiums I've seen. No matter how many times a seller uses the term "monster" in their description.:greedy:

bsowa1029 and Paul M. like this.
  20. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I've only been collecting for a year and never asked the question but I assumed toning made the coin more unique. That and some of the toning just looks nice. Toning is corrosion though, and will the coin continue to corrode over a long period of time? Couldn't it become black?

21. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Its color :)

[​IMG]

Disfigured... huh?

[​IMG]

Not at all...

MIGuy, capthank, john65999 and 11 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted