Why are people the way that they are.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Restitutor, May 2, 2021.

1. mightyknighty

mightyknighty Member

All I can say is people are getting rich! I wish I was too

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

The Flavians hammered that high because of their fine condition, they are not rarities.

philologus_1, Orfew and Jay GT4 like this.
  4. El Cazador

El Cazador Well-Known Member

The surfaces on those were not great, even on the ones showed here: strike is great, surface- not so much

Restitutor likes this.
  5. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

Agreed here. Not saying they aren’t beautiful coins. They definitely are. But upon closer zooming in there were definitely some surface issues not immediately noticeable. Still lovely coins!

6. El Cazador

I’ve noticed that to be the case with recent Nauman Auctions- appears they either overclean them with harsh brush, or surfaces just bad as they are- I always have to zoom in and add extra contrast to get the true picture

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I haven't browsed many auctions this year and can't even remember if I've bought any coins yet in 2021. There were a few provincials in Naumann that caught my eye, one type in particular I've wanted for a while. There were two of the example and both had reasonable starting bids. I put them on my watch list and had the system text me approximately 50 lots before they came up.

Naturally my phone was on vibrate and not near me and I forgot about it. As luck would have it, both lots sold for very sane prices and I certainly would have bid more (which of course doesn't mean the person who won wouldn't have gone much higher, but still). Oh well. Next time :).

8. mightyknighty

mightyknighty Member

I have a coin of Nero from Michel Prieur col , bought this 450$ couple years ago. Can I assume based on these prices, it should go more than 1200$ with such a good condition and provenance?

nero3.jpg

paschka, Bing and Restitutor like this.
  9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I respectfully disagree. IMHO, the strike and surfaces are fine on the examples shown in the OP ... especially on the Titus Capricorn.

10. El Cazador

I am not confident- given surface issues on the reverse and lack of furthers on the eagle, IMHO likely $600. Nice tonning on the obverse though

11. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

@Al Kowsky could answered your question.

12. El Cazador

We agree to disagree.

It also depends on your tolerance of imperfections and issues...

and BTW- Capricorn coin is the worst offender, it would be 2/5 NGc grade

Roman Collector likes this.
  13. mightyknighty

mightyknighty Member

I think much more than 600! if a common Gordian III without any special provenance can fetch 900 Euro, how come a nice Nero tetradrachma with provenance of Michel Prieur (the author of the provincials) can go less than Gordian? I doubt!

Roman Collector likes this.
  14. El Cazador

The only way to find out:) is to consign it to Naumann:)

15. mightyknighty

mightyknighty Member

I would consider if I decide to sell it but it is so hard for me to part with such a beauty specially because I know I might not be able to get my hands on another Prieur coin any time soon

Roman Collector and El Cazador like this.
  16. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I mean, I can get that Gordian III type for literally 15 euros on Vcoins.
    I'm still appalled. But now this coin has that stuck to it forever. It sold for 900 once and to someone that will be good enough to blow 10K on in a decade.

Restitutor and DonnaML like this.
  17. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I was watching that auction too and remarked to some friends about the Gordian.

Like Donna's, mine is not as nice as the one in today's auction, but it cost $51 on Vcoins back in 2009 - I need to take a better photo':

[​IMG]

Anyway, we're all clearly millionaires now :)

ATB,
    Aidan.

Spaniard, Marsyas Mike, tibor and 4 others like this.
  18. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I couldn't care less about a grade someone assigns to an ancient coin. There are so many variables with ancient coins that the grade is nothing more than an expensive opinion. When I see a coin the question I ask myself is "do I like it?". I refuse to get worked up about whether a coin is a 2 or a 3. To me, this is using the same metrics as modern coins when those metrics do not and should not apply to ancient coins.

Jay GT4, DonnaML and Roman Collector like this.
  19. El Cazador

To each it’s own. I would hate owning smth that would be EXTREMELY problematic to sell with minimal loss... i dont view myself as a storage vessel for somebody’s issues...

20. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

First, I do not buy coins in order to sell them. When I have sold them it was so I could buy other coins. Coins are not an investment for me I have other venues for that. For me, collecting these coins is about enjoying them for what they are.

Also, how can you predict the future concerning these coins? I will trust @David Atherton 's opinion instead. After all, he has been studying Flavian coins for over a decade and is considered an expert on these coins. If you have similar credentials don't be quiet about them.

21. El Cazador

Again, I enjoy coins as much as I do traveling, but can’t justify buying something that will take me months if not years to sell - people like problem-free coins.

I tend to stick with the old but proven principle- buy the best quality you can!

Hrefn likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted