Why are grades so different even among the same graders?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Doc J, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

I've been a member here for 7 years. I don't post that much but read other posts.

It drives me nuts when I go and look at coin shows and see so much oddities among coins that are rated by the same experts (the rating agencies).

I like Morgans. I see many MS60 (or higher) coins which need to be an AU50.

I don't complain in public but keep my money in my pocket. And BTW, I never sell anything.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

It has to do with the subjectivity of grading... Sometimes, marks will bother me more on a certain coin. Sometimes, toning makes me like a coin better, and other times, it distracts me from the detail or luster. Grading depends on many factors, which is why a variety of grades is said for the same coin on guess the grade threads.

4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

It’s subjectivity and it’s also that thera are a bunch of different grading scales.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Could we see a couple examples of these ms60 you believe should be AU50? ...I guess you are exaggerating for emphasis because that is quite the swing.

Pickin and Grinin and baseball21 like this.
  6. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Yeah I agree that you wouldn't see that great of a disparity from one of the top grading services. A better example is low MS coins (62,63), that should be AU-55 or AU-58.

mynamespat likes this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That was my first thought as well. If it’s not an exaggeration I would say that anyone who is consistently grading MS coins as a 50 needs to brush up on their own skills

Jaelus and mynamespat like this.
  8. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

There is quite a difference between MS60 and AU50. Many times MS60 can look worse than AU50. Typically MS60 looks like a wet dog.

9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Dave has nailed it... the flow is NOT AU53 < AU55 < AU58 < MS60 < MS61 < MS62 < MS63

An AU58 is more like a NICE MS63 with the tiniest bit of rub. And an AU55 is an MS62 with rub. Ish. YMMV of course.

MS60 is definitely a dog. I'd usually prefer an honest AU53 even over an MS60. MS61 is a nicer dog. But still a dog. Well behaved and all that. But still...

Mainebill and CircCam like this.
  10. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

I can not go to a coin show and start taking pictures. :D

I agree that it is a big swing. It's why that I am complaining.

It's due to my view. I see AU-50 (with slight wear) as shown as MS-60 (or above) which has no trace of wear but with a few little marks.

Some show a MS-60 with a worn hair lines and/or wear of the Eagle's breast which is clearly a AU-50 or below.

I'll get some pictures posted here.

11. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

It is like dealing with several real estate appraisers, appraising the same house!

sakata likes this.
  12. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I’d uoure talking about dealer graded inventory all bets are off it could be whatever. If you’re talking about legitimate tpg graded coins you’re very lively confusing striking issues with wear.

Ms 60 has a heck of a lot more than a few little marks as well

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The OP is correct. In today's world, the TPGs have gotten so bad that the vast majority of coins graded 60 to 63 are really AU coins. And I've seen more than my share of 64s that are AU ! Even 10 years ago professional graders who work at the TPGs, and still do, were writing articles with titles like - Yesterday's AU Is Today's MS.

Not that many years ago every single coin in a 60, 61, or 62 slab that you saw - looked like it came in 8th in an ax fight ! They were beat to death, literally covered with marks - but they had no wear !

Today, coins with those same grades have few marks, many of them hardly any by comparison. But each and every one of them has wear on it.

Among people who know, really know, how to grade coins - all of this is common knowledge !

Mainebill likes this.
  14. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I don't claim to be an expert, which I am not but my personal feelings is that the difference is a grader's pride. Even they know a coin might be an AU-50 they will grade it a higher or even a lower grade. NO ONE, and I mean no one tells him or her what to grade a coin. He or she is the expert; you don't like it go to someone else. This is their mentality. If they would grade a coin according to it's merits then we would all have less problems grading the "coin" and not the TPG's. The main reason I say this is because an top three TPG company representative (grader) that was at a Hawaii coin show back in 2002-2005 told me this. The TPG's don't like each other very much and will purposely graded a coin harder (than it actually is) or lower to maintain a certain "status" in the industry. I know some may not agree with me and that is OK but after a few years in this industry I can see where there is merits to this claim. This is just my personal opinion. Thanks.

15. GDJMSP

Kinda depends. If you are talking about a private individual doing the grading - I'd agree. If you talking about a grader who works for a TPG - it's not true at all ! Direct opposite in fact, the graders at the TPGs are told exactly how to grade coins ! And if they don't grade them the way they are told to grade them - well they don't work there very long.

Every single TPG there is has their own, unique, set of grading standards. Which, over the last 13-14 years, have been constantly changing, getting more and more lenient all the time.

16. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I completely understand where you are coming from. The gentleman that I had the conversation with said the same thing; but he said it is not always what it seems on the surface. There is a strong rivalry between TPG's. Just look at the difference between pricing on two identical coins with identical grades. If they were graded accordingly and the way there suppose to be graded why are the prices not the same? Personally, I believe that NGC has surpassed PCGS in the last 10 years directly from watching the strict grades they give. But that is my personal opinion; nothing more. I believe that regardless of "Who" tells the TPGs graders what and how to grade coins that there is a prestige factor / pride competition between the top TPG's.

*Edit....when I said "NO ONE, and I mean no one tells him or her what to grade a coin" I meant the individual that has the last say on what grades are given for that particular coin.

17. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

I've been a gold and silver coin hobby enthusiast for many years.

I was just now looking at the graded coins although I have always bought ungraded (I looked at the coin carefully). I saw so much "lenient" grading that it completely turned me to completely ignore them.

I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with "grade inflation". JMO.

18. GDJMSP

Oh you're absolutely right on that count, it's always been that way, since they opened the doors. That's why one uses this designation for a coin and another uses some other designation, for the same coin.

But at the same time, they all play the same game too, loosen grades when it suits them. In if one does the others have to, or else loose all their business because people will go to whoever gives them the highest grades.

19. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

If that were completely true, SEGS and basement slabbers would rule the industry.
    ... I'm still waiting for some examples of these MS60-61 in AU50 and lower holders.. Great claims require great evidence.

baseball21 likes this.
  20. Doc J

Doc J Mr. Brightside

I have a light box for old revolvers (one of three hobbies). I have no current ability to post a detailed picture of a smaller silver coin with the details required for your question.

I could build one, but I have never sold any coins. The capital gains tax on a collectible coin is very high for a person that is a hobbyist. Now, a person that makes a living has a whole new set of rules and obligations (lower taxes is one).

I know this is subjective. I know the negatives are high for a professional.

This is the best that I can do on a 1882cc:
    [​IMG]

Another Carson City (1978cc):
    [​IMG]

I knew the first one was better. I knew the second one was a first year issue.

They are more than AU50 but surely less than MS62. Both came naked to me, but I had to have them due to the mint marks. They both look nice under my microscope.

I see graded ones going for X2 on eBay.

21. GDJMSP

You want great evidence ? All you gotta do is look at the historical pop reports. Or if you have a good enough memory, you'll already know. And then of course there's the coins themselves - they are the best evidence of all because the coins don't change, only the grades on the slabs do - and they very, very rarely do anything but go up !

You can also consider this. By 2004 the TPGs, NGC and PCGS, had slabbed approx 25 million coins. Now, go look and see how many coins you can find that are still in the slabs from that time period and before. Sure, you'll find a few, but I can almost guarantee you it will be less than 10% of that 25 million. Do you know why ? Because about 90% of those 25 million coins are now in newer slabs with higher grades on them !

And if you doubt that then you better ask yourself why it's a known fact that coins in older slabs are bought up before you can blink, cracked out, and sent in to be re-graded. It's done for one reason - because they get higher grades when they are.

Like I said, they'll send the coins to whoever gives them the highest grades. And if you want to throw in SEGS, and ANACS and ICG - ok throw 'em in. Every single one of them is still in business aren't they ? Why do you suppose that is ? It's because different people have different opinions about which one is going to give them what they want.

imrich likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted