Who's waiting for a coin to arrive in the mail?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JGGonzalez, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

If you have an option, I always go with FedEx and/or I specifically REQUEST it. This is NOT an advert.

Throughout my 40 year career, I have shipped product all over the world, received product, etc. Virtually all in Full or LCL Containers. However, for samples, test product, review items, etc. I always shipped via FedEx. I usually got them through customs, etc. (with proper documentation, valuation, etc.) with a minimal of hassle. And yes, I have had a LOT of true overnite deliveries from/to Asia and/or Europe. I have tried MANY delivery options, PO's, Courier Services, Overnites, etc... All in all: Unbelievable considering the LOGISTICS of rapid transport worldwide.

Yes, I HAVE experienced critical delays: YES, Chinese customs have quarantined items for inspection. Yes, a volcano blew off in Alaska grounding all planes, and delayed my critical overnite shipment. Yes, some European customs inspector had some odd questions for obvious items. Yes, I have had to prove Brand certifications for our items. Etc. However, these are less than 0.1% exceptions to the performance received.

Regardless, whenever I purchase coins, if the valuation warrants it, I try to get them shipped via FedEx. Need NOT be overnite, but there are shipping options. They are always consistent for me. I just had a coin shipped from Vienna 24-April, through customs, and it is scheduled for tomorrow 10:30AM delivery. Worst case, I will have it Friday. It is a $125 coin. I have had the same service with over $10k in coins (just had to pay some duties).

It is worth the $10-$20 charges (dependent on Country) for this assurance. I usually cost that into my coin's Landed Cost so I understand my true valuations. I strive to make things easy.

My 2 cents.

Cucumbor and ancientcoinguru like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I’ve mentioned this situation in passing before, but it’s been so long that I really need some advice on how to proceed. Here are the details:

1). I ordered a denarius from Numismática Prados (Spain) on January 21, 2017.

2). The shipment was processed through Customs (ISC New York) on February 12, 2017. That’s the last I’ve heard of the coin. The tracking number won’t even return any information now; perhaps the number has “timed out.” I’m not sure how tracking numbers like this operate.

4.) In April I contacted Numismática Prados and received this response in somewhat imperfect English: “Dear Richardson, the information that appears on the website Correos in the same as in the two, on February 12 arrived in your country and no more information. We are going to put a collection in the Post office and if it does not matter, we wait a few days, in case there is not, we make a refund, to the insured insurance in which there is no I still lost, sorry for the inconveniences.”

I’m not quite sure what “we make a refund, to the insured insurance in which there is no I still lost” means. I have not received a refund, but I have not pressed the matter either, hoping that the coin would eventually show up. It hasn't.

Attached are relevant documents; I don’t think there’s any sensitive info on them.

Here are my two basic questions:

1. Is there any way to contact Customs or get an answer from them about the status of this package? I think it’s easier to reach the dead than to reach NY customs. The USPS is no help here since they insist that USPS and Customs are two completely different entities. They have essentially closed my case since they have no control over Customs and this is a Customs problem.

2. It is time to give up on this coin and press Numismática Prados for a refund?

Any guidance here would be appreciated.

Screenshot 2017-05-31 13.01.12.png

Screenshot 2017-05-31 12.56.12.png

4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I have been waiting on a coin to pass through customs since January 19th. USPS pretty much told me the same thing I.E. "sorry but customs stinks, have a nice day." It seems items shipped with higher priority have less problems than the non-trackable cheap shipping.

It's well past time to seek your refund. I think someone at customs is putting together a nice confiscated coin collection :troll: ;)

If the coin ever does arrive you can always repay the money or send it back.

Mikey Zee and Gavin Richardson like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

+1

Curtisimo likes this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

First time in MONTHS: All mine have landed and are accounted. Since January have averaged approx 5+ per week.

Curtisimo, ancientcoinguru and akeady like this.
  7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have one coming from Steve Album (2 AV Mohurs from Mughal Emperor Jahandar)
    I never have problems, since they are all sent via "neutral" registered letter. No value/ description.....hence no threat that they will be "MIA" in transit. No customs delays either;) !

Curtisimo and ancientcoinguru like this.
  8. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I presently am awaiting the arrival of some coins from France and I am getting a little anxious because of my inability to track their progress through the mail delivery system. Chronopost -- the French mail tracking facility -- is not working for me. When I clicked on the tracking number link provided by the seller I got a message saying that number did not exist. I messaged the seller and he got the same response when he tried clicking the link. He went to his post office and they told him the number was valid and that the package was being tracked but it was not showing online. The seller has been very helpful in trying to get me tracking information -- but no luck so far. The package has been in the mail system for eight days now so all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and hope it arrives OK.

I dislike "flying blind" like this. Has anyone else here had a similar experience with French Chronopost?

panzerman likes this.
  9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have had the the same problem with locating tracking number online. However, I always got my package a few days later. Usually, packets take 10-14 days sent registered airmail. Packages sent via air/express arrive much faster:)!

10. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Not specifically Chronopost, but I've ordered a few coins from France where the tracking was spotting. They usually arrived after about a week longer than expected (I once ordered something from the UK and France at the same time - UK delivery was about a week and a half, France two and a half).

11. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

If I recall, the Chronopost or Colissimo numbers do not work in the USPS mail system and are assigned new numbers once they reach the US. I googled it a few years ago when I had a coin shipped with the Colissimo service and was able to figure out the new USPS number myself, for the life of me I can't recall how I did it! However, Chronopost is the faster option and may switch to FedEx once in the US.

12. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Just got a package from Israel - no tracking but it took 14 days to get to me. Japan took 4 days. Hum...

13. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Or in my recent case they did not work even when the package was still in France or enroute to the US.

14. Silverino

Silverino Well-Known Member

Well kinda. Maybe I am in the wrong forum. Waiting for delivery of a presale. Ares God of War Silver Coin from The First Coin Company Inc. Paid in January!!!!! When in the heck am I going to receive it??????????

15. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I'm waiting for some fish money, which were neither real fish nor real money, but rather heavenly money...because why not?

Screenshot_2017-05-30-16-35-06.png

16. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

N2w9a8KX6B7o5dEzkD6SD3zZyW54JF.jpg
    iff the post is, coming i am then so happy

vendor pictures

17. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

At this point in time I am waiting for 6 coins from
    3 different auctions. If lady luck would have been
    with me the number would be 10. Where exactly
    do Medieval coins fall with CoinTalk, ancient or
    world?

gregarious likes this.
  18. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I'm waiting for two coins I won at auction yesterday. I am to receive the tracking number today and I will track throughout the system. Previously I bought three hoards from Britan - one a full kilo of coins costing me $700, and two half kilo shipments at $380 each. So I ended up with 963 coins - a pretty good haul. In each case they were delivered by Royal Mail within about 10 days of dispatch. I did have to wait for the antiquities dept approval in England which took about 7 days for the vendor to get approved, before they were actually mailed. So about 2.5 weeks for the whole process. So my luck with shipping so far has been good.

19. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

we post and look @'em in ancients

panzerman likes this.
  20. Aunduril

Aunduril Well-Known Member

I'm currently waiting on a large cent and some buffalo nickels. Waiting always sticks. It is nice when you can track the package though, it makes the waiting a bit easier.

panzerman likes this.
  21. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Draft saved Draft deleted