Who's waiting for a coin to arrive in the mail?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JGGonzalez, Jan 24, 2017.

1. JGGonzalez

JGGonzalez Well-Known Member

Waiting for an ancient coin to arrive by mail is definitely not among my favorite activities! I want it now!

I'm waiting for a Marc Antony denarius (see pic) to arrive from England. I noticed that the prices on these are going up, even for the ones that are barely identifiable. I want to re-build my collection and I'm really leaning toward the Roman Imperatorial/Early Julio-Claudian period because of the interesting history behind it.

Anyone else jumping up and down like a poodle on espresso waiting for the mailman?
    JGG MA Denarius.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Me. Still haven't gotten my Triton lots from NYINC. :sour:

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Yup, got a few tetradrachms to come this week I am anxious to get.

Nice MA. I just have 1.

[​IMG]
    Marc Antony (44 - 30 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: ANT AVG III VIR R P C, Praetorian galley right.
    R: LEG III Aquila between two signa; LEG III across lower field.
    Patrae mint 32-31 B.C .
    3.14g
    18mm
    Crawford 544/15; CRI 350; Sydenham 1217; RSC 28

Legio III Gallica was levied by Julius Caesar around 49 BC, for his civil war against the conservative republicans led by Pompey.

The legion took part in all Julius Caesar's campaigns against his enemies, including the battles of Pharsalus and Munda. Following Caesar's death, III Gallica was integrated in the army of Mark Antony for his campaigns against the Parthians. They were included in the army levied by Fulvia and Lucius Antonius (Antony's wife and brother) to oppose Octavian, but ended by surrendering in Perugia, in the winter of 41 BC. After the battle of Actium and Antony's suicide, the III Gallica was sent again to the East, where they garrisoned the province of Syria.

III Gallica was used in Gnaeus Domitius Corbulo's campaign against the Parthians over the control of Armenia (63). Corbulo's successes triggered emperor Nero's paranoia of persecution and eventually the general was forced to commit suicide. After this, III Gallica is transferred to Moesia province, in the Danube border.

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, well, I learned to stop being a "Cat-on-a-hot-tin-roof" some time ago. I have been averaging 5-10 coins per week over the last couple years. Slowed down this year, but I do have a couple hard-to-get ones from CNG landing on my doorstep pretty soon!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Hey! Good for you Mat! I captured one of my Marc Antony's only because it was Legio III! Fave number...

silverbullion, Smojo and Bing like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Yeah, me too. I have 5 coins on their way. I generally don't show coins I haven't received, but I already introduced this one in another thread:
    Larissa, Thessaly  AR Obol 2.jpg

8. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Waiting on one right now, but its been an ordeal so far. It originally arrrived but it was sign for but I slept in so I missed it. Went to the post office, they lost it, said they'd call me back if they found it. After waiting a few days they never called back (doubt they even tried to look for it) so I scheduled a redelivery to force them to look for it. It was found but for some reason it was sent back to a facility in a neighboring county. It left said facility and now (supposedly) its on its way to me.

And this is after another coin of mine was delivered to the wrong house. And on top of all this, right now I'm also having an issue with an online bookseller not sending me two textbooks I ordered for the semester.

Man, will my good luck ever end? :rolleyes: :mad:

9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Just got one in the mail today! Waiting on a good number to arrive from France at the moment...

silverbullion likes this.
  10. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I need to check on this order from my friends in Jerusalem. It's been 5 weeks.

HERODS.jpg

11. alde

alde Always Learning

I'm waiting for 3 nice Hadrian denarius, a Sabina denarius and an Lucius Aelius denarius. It's hard to wait on the ones shipping from Europe to the US. Sometimes it takes a while but they always get here eventually.

12. JGGonzalez

Check out "Mark Antony's Heroes" by Stephen Dando-Collins. I just found a used copy on eBay for $4. Looks like a good book.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

silverbullion and Deacon Ray like this.
  13. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

HaHa,
    I just finally got the last of 2016 the other day.
    Now waiting on 3 or is it 4, now I'm gonna have to look. One is a recent CNG purchase, two are FAC from a week or two ago. Oh, and two non ancients.

14. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I only show coins that I've paid for. :greedy: LOL Sometimes I'm too impatient to wait for them to arrive.

silverbullion, Carausius and Smojo like this.
  15. JGGonzalez

Nice set! I've got a decent 8 prutot piece from Herod the Great, but I'm still looking for a chance to get an affordable Pontius Pilate. Good luck in getting your order.

16. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

A nice little gem is winging it's way to me from the UK too. This is my first overseas purchase of 2017, hopefully the shipping speed is much improved from December!

BTW, Dando-Collins, although a colourful writer, is fast and loose with his facts.

17. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm always waiting for coins, but of course that's not true. I don't buy that many coins...

Honestly, the post from the UK (where I buy most of my stuff) is awfully quick, typically less than a week door to door. I have no cause for complaint.

But, as they say...

18. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I am waiting for two NYINC books:
    #1. The Rare Coin Score by Richard Stark was suggested reading at the Roman Republican brunch. I found a copy on line, and the best price was from a UK store. This week they wrote to say their only copy is too bad to ship. I found another seller, but must wait the week to 10 days again. Yes that is Nero on the cover.
    the rare coin score.jpg
    #2. The book I bought in the NYINC book auction is not here yet either.
    I have had better luck with coin shipments lately.

19. JGGonzalez

Interesting book, what is it about? Maybe I'll start another thread on ancient coins in novels!

20. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for Agora to ship my coins from auction 63:banghead: Also waiting on another bunch that was sent on December 12 that I'm thinking may be lost.

21. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Waiting on my books too, come to think of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted