Who's going to the Central States show in Schaumburg, IL?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Moekeever, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

Im going on Thursday to walk around for half the day. Hopefully I fill my pockets with large cents.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Wish I was.... But I'll be at a model railroad show :D

Santinidollar and Moekeever like this.
  4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I will be there Thursday all day and Friday morning for all your coin imaging needs. Stop by table #805 (JMS Coins).

Moekeever likes this.
  5. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Too bad. That's real close to me and been wanting to go to a show but no chance this weekend.

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Been on my my mind for years but I'll have to pass again.
    I like to try the big shows east of the Mississippi if nothing else just to say I've attended once.
    Right now only two on my list: the Central States and one of the FUN shows (I think the winter one is supposed to be the best).
    Cost of travel and the stay have been holding me back.

Moekeever likes this.
  7. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I considered going until i looked up Schaumburg Illinois and seen it was on the North side of Chi-town. I hate the traffic in Chicago and it costs about $15 in tolls just to drive through.....

8. Moekeever

The traffic and tolls around Chicago are a nightmare. I'm lucky that my youngest daughter lives about a mile from the show. Free lodging means I have more dollars to spend!

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

It is possible to avoid the tolls around Chicago. Traffic, not so much, although I-90 west of the airport (a tollway) is really nice now.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  10. Badger Mint

Badger Mint Active Member

My son and I will be there Wednesday to set up exhibits and then on Saturday to claim our prizes. You know, they give away gold to winning exhibits. As a YN , my son has won a couple of ounces over the years.
    Joe Paonessa

11. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Depending on where you are coming from there are alternatives to the toll roads. Being said, you won't avoid traffic.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I will be there Thursday and Friday. I haven't gone in past years because it has always been two weeks after the Chicago International show and I couldn't justify the lobg trip to Chicago twice in two weeks (and having to take off work twice, I work weekends) But the International show folded when another international show show opened that same weekend in DOWNTOWN Chicago. I and NOT going to downtown Chicago, so now I'm able to do Central States.

And frankly I prefer paying to tolls and traveling the longer distance than trying to get through town on the free interstate. The last year before we started taking the tollroad it took five hours to get to Chicago, and three hours to just drive across town on the interstate.

Moekeever likes this.
  13. Moekeever

I agree with paying the tolls. I live in N. Central Indiana and I have taken the free routes before and regretted the decision. I have the iPass now and we just fly through them.

14. Moekeever

I like your profile photo. Weather is another of my favorite hobbies.

wxcoin likes this.
  15. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I'm a retired meteorologist who spent 20 years at NSSL in Oklahoma. My profile picture was from one of many tornado events. I'm glad I retired up north away from all that stress:)

charlietig and Moekeever like this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I'd get an Ipass, but I only go through there once a year. It would take too long to use up the initial payment. I wouldn't trust them not to declare it abandoned and simply take the money out of the account.

Now if the Indiana Governor goes through with the idea of maybe making the interstates in Indiana tollroads it might be worthwhile.

Moekeever likes this.
  17. BigTomato

BigTomato New Member

I'm going Thursday thru Saturday. It's been years since my last visit.

Moekeever likes this.
  18. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

I've never been to a CS show but went to the Heritage preview yesterday for the first time—driving over from MI. Wasn't able to go later in the week to catch both the preview and the show.

I really enjoyed the preview: I wanted to compare my expectations of certain coins based on HA's photographs to see if I could pick up any insights on how to further interpret their photos in general.

Everyone knows HA's photos are typically great. But, for example, I was interested in an 1861 IHC that, it turns out, has fine scratches on the face that don't show up at all in the photo. Deal breaker and so glad I observed the coin. Overall the coins in hand were very consistent with their photos but you definitely have to be careful.

Traffic on 294 was bad yesterday and hellish on 294N this morning; luckily I was driving South! I love Chicago but hate the traffic.

Moekeever likes this.
  19. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I was at this show last year. It was totally worth it for me!

If you only get to visit little shows, ones like these just blow you away!

oval_man and Moekeever like this.
  20. Basset hound

Basset hound Member

I'm going Friday

I have been an amateur collector for about 10 years. This will be my first time going to a show . Im looking forward to checking out the booths.

Moekeever likes this.
  21. Moekeever

I had a great time at the show today. I walked away with 125 large cents so I'm going to be busy attributing for a few days. image.jpeg

oval_man likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted