Who's buying the 2017 LESPS?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, Sep 18, 2017.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The box my two sets arrived in was 10" wide x 14" long x 4.75" thick and I imagine that 9x9x9 was a generalization as I have never received anything from the US Mint in a 9x9x9 container.

I expect that a single set would have been shipped in the same container since the US Mint Fulfillment Center LOVES to use their air bubble packing materials.

AND they like to ship orders in separate boxes even though they don't have to. At Over Night Rates.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

If memory serves, there are now 3 different years ('14-'16?) proven to be minted at Philadelphia...???

Edit: please correct if wrong

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

That may very well be correct but it's nit-picky, easy to replicate stuff like this which presents the biggest hazard to the slabbed coin market. (Think Beanie Babies!)

Personally, where the slabbing industry has taken the coin collecting market, IMO, is an embarrassment to the hobby which will leave a LOT of people holding various sized bags over the years.

Those slab labels are as meaningless as some of the grades which appear on those labels and the market for said labels is as equally thin.

Of course, this is just my opinion based upon observation and experience.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

So what? A "rarity" based on a shipping label. What difference does it make what Mint they came out of if there is no identifying mark on the coin itself.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    SchwaVB57 likes this.
  6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I received mine on Tuesday.
    In a REALLY BIG BOX.
    inside was the LEPS along with the couple other things I did then their air packaging filling up the void (which was very large). The OGP stuff was just rattling around the box on the backside - if you poked a pen through the backside of the box you probably would have poked a hole in one of the OGPs. The Air packing just filled the void and wasn't protecting the order.

But I have my order all safe and sound.

7. Johndoe2000$

I couldn't care less about any of the labels. Just passing info along. The only thing I really care about is grade, and authenticity. Things that are important knowledge for the coin.

8. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

You sure do.

Attached Files:

9. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

What's worse is that with the 2017 Congratulations Set taking off the way it did, there is now a slot for it, which makes sense because it's a proof from a different mint. But that also means that there is now a slot for the 2016 Congratulations set. And there were only like 5500 of those graded, period. They sell for ridiculous amounts on ebay, and people pay it.

10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Yes, insane people paying $1950 for cardboard. 2016 Price has dropped about $500 since early Sept though.

I loved it though .. 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2013 $$$.

11. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

I only buy items I like, and if they are worth something in the future that's fine. Won't change my opinion of the purchase at all. These arrived today and they look GREAT.

green18 likes this.
  12. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Mine came today. Not impressed. Zero chance of a 70 grade on the Eagle.

13. GerardV

Sorry to hear that. I was shocked at the set when it arrived. The eagle might be a 70.

14. Johndoe2000$

I'm surprised to hear about the Eagle. I would think the mint produced all 125,000 earlier this year, as opposed to two separate batches. Makes me wonder how many die changes there were for these???

NSP likes this.
  15. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I wonder if I could petition PCGS to add all of the different die marriages for the 2017-S to their registry sets? :woot:

(Just kidding of course, since I assume the dies are fully hubbed, but maybe you could distinguish them if there were any die scratches?)

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  16. Nathan401

Here is the outer box, as delivered:
    20171013_170933-1.jpg
    The inner box:
    20171013_183940.jpg
    And these four spots just above Ms Liberty's outstretched hand do not appear to be on the plastic:
    20171013_183744.jpg

17. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Man, that bites. And as if to add insult to injury it appears the postman took his anger out (went postal?) on your package.

Nathan401 likes this.
  18. Johndoe2000$

19. Nathan401

I'm just going to return it. The heck with the Mint.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  20. GerardV

Man, I’m sorry - that’s awful.

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

C'est La Guerre........

Draft saved Draft deleted