Who's buying the 2017 LESPS?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, Sep 18, 2017.

1. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

The set came in a big box. No smaller box other than the OGP packaging is inside with packaging material.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

The OGP is sealed though, correct? I sold both sets to Modern Coin, and they siad the original mint box could be opened to repackage, but to not open the sealed OGP?

4. SchwaVB57

Here is what was in my box, not sealed IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0531.JPG

5. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

2017-S ASEs in PCGS MS69 are going for $85 today including shipping at a "famous auction site."

Not sure why one would pay what the Mint asked for the LESPSs just to get one of the ASEs. Market does not seem to be there. I already had two of the 2017-S ASEs from the Congratulations Sets, and bought the 2017 Silver Proof Set for the other coins. This one is a head scratcher to me . . .

6. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Because if you have a NGC registry set, it will be required to have the "Limited Edition" label for this ASE. Also, I paid what the mint asked because Modern Coin Mart paid me $40 per set more for them than I paid.

Edit
    And I too have several of the graded Congratulation Set eagles. I actually bought another one when I saw what Modern Coin was paying for these sets. Like it or not, they are going to set the market for the limited edition label on this silver eagle from this set. At least at first.

7. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Approximately...
    10.5" x 7" x 6.5"

Morpheus likes this.
  8. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

Damn for 1 set?

9. SchwaVB57

I had 2 sets in my shipping box, and it is 10.5" x 7" x 6.5" as stated.

Morpheus likes this.
  10. Johndoe2000$

I guess the chance for 70s, and OGP, and having the coins in a set could be some reasons why the set - vs - buying separately???

11. Johndoe2000$

It seems the OGP isn't sealed, so...???

12. Johndoe2000$

That's my thoughts, overkill on the box size.

13. Virginian

Thanks. Good explanation. One of many reasons I do not do these kinds of sets, as they have gotten ridiculous (IMO) for no good reason except to pump profits.

To me . . . 2017-S Proof = 2017-S Proof. Same year. Same strike. Same mint mark. If you can't tell a difference by looking at them . . . The rest is . . . "this is one of only 100 coins minted on a Tuesday in March using die set number 3 between 10 AM and 2 PM and graded MS69 or higher" level nonsense to me.

The coins are the same, right? Who cares exactly which packages the Mint shoveled them into?

Answer: A lot of folks, apparently. Folks who collect differently than I do. And I need to remember that. So . . . thanks, again!

Fallguy likes this.
  14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

On EBay, the 2017 S ASE proof 69 is now available from a major dealer for $99. First time I've seen one below $100.

15. SchwaVB57

+1! Who cares if the holder has a Trolley, Eagle, Gold, Red, Blue, or Reagan label.

To me . . . 2017-S Proof = 2017-S Proof. Same year. Same strike. Same mint mark. If you can't tell a difference by looking at them . . . The rest is . . . "this is one of only 100 coins minted on a Tuesday in March using die set number 3 between 10 AM and 2 PM and graded MS69 or higher" level nonsense to me.

The coins are the same, right? Who cares exactly which packages the Mint shoveled them into?

Answer: A lot of folks, apparently. Folks who collect differently than I do. And I need to remember that. So . . . thanks, again![/QUOTE]

16. Johndoe2000$

17. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

They are selling on ebay for around 50 bucks over original price.

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The bullocks who package these sets sometimes choose an oversized box for an undersized product, and then load up the surplus space with packaging material.

19. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

I totally agree with this. The one that really upset me is the Struck in Philadelphia fiasco. I mean, we have had what, 31 years of eagles? So:

31 MS grade for mint strikes
    30 PF for proofs (no 2009)
    10 Burnished
    3 Reverse proofs
    1 Enhanced finish

So by my math, that equals 75 coins? But because of all the labels that NGC has in their registry set, there are 110 different coins. Not including, but coming soon, the 2017 Limited Edition S proof.

Yankee42 likes this.
  20. Morpheus

Morpheus Active Member

This is the extra one I purchased.

21. Virginian

Don't follow NGC registry sets. Do you actually need one of this dubious/bogus 2015 (P) ASEs to have a complete NGC registry set?

Draft saved Draft deleted