Who's buying the 2017 LESPS?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, Sep 18, 2017.

1. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I'm not sure if I'll be in on this. I already have the "S" ASE.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

At $135, I'll pass

4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Yeah, hard to pay that price, but let's face it, that SAE, at 125k mintage is going to be a short term and long term winner. You won't lose on this set, the SAE is already selling for more than the cost of this set and it should only go higher now that the total mintage is set at 125k.

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Bigger supply, higher prices? I'll be interested to see if that plays out.

6. statequarterguy

Yeah, yet consider all the factors. The long term price should be close to the 2011 limited SAE's from the 2011 set, since the mintage is similar. The 2017 price has been depressed due to the fear the mint would make many more 2017 LESPS's than usual, that fear is now moot. Heck, if the price declines significantly, I'll buy a roll of them for the future.

7. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I think it is a sleeper, but I do not plan on selling or getting rich off the set.

8. mikenoodle

I've heard this tune and played this game before. I see this as more of a flip and run opportunity.

I don't know and can't begin to predict long-term value.

9. statequarterguy

Sure, there's no guarantees, only potential. I always put away the ones with potential.

10. mikenoodle

certainly a smart plan. I just don't know if the market in the future will support a price on this coin of not only approx 8x melt, but of twice as much as any regular proof SAE.

How much will collectors feel incomplete if they don't have this coin in their set? That's where the answer lies long term.

11. statequarterguy

Maybe a flip & run if the price shoots up to the 2011's. Yet, I believe the 2011's have a brighter future ahead, so maybe I wouldn't sell them all, just the lower grade ones.

12. statequarterguy

Long term this coin has nothing to do with melt. Historically, collectors of popular sets want them all. Will this set remain popular? Who knows, but it sure is a beautiful coin, so maybe.

13. SchwaVB57

I agree with statequarterguy. Burnished and proof ASE's are not Bullion to me. They are collectable coins.

14. mikenoodle

don't be so quick to say this. Long term means long term. It is possible that, like some other series, in time, interest may wane. If interest drops off of the table, melt will be the value.

15. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

Dumb question - is the ASE (s mint) that's in this set for sale separately? How much is it going for ?

16. mikenoodle

totally agreed. I am talking worst case scenario when I mention melt in the same sentence as these.

17. mikenoodle

no. It was only available in this set and the congratulations set which quickly sold out earlier this year.

18. statequarterguy

Sure, it's wise to always look at worst case scenarios, which is why I try to select coins with potential and I don't put all my eggs in one basket. As always, there will be winners and losers.

I'll tell you about one speculation I made. I bought 50 rolls of a certain coin for $10 a roll about five years ago and the price did nothing. These rolls were the worst performer in my portfolio. Even though, I still believed it was a sleeper, I began to believe it wasn't going to move in my lifetime. Then last week I sold ten rolls for $100 per roll, which I believe is still too low, but hey, it gave me some needed cash and I still have 40 rolls.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    mikenoodle likes this.
  19. SchwaVB57

I bought a full roll of 1986, 87, 88, 89, and 90 ASE's (Bullion Coins) when they came out each year. Even though melt has increased quite a bit since 86, I believe the coins are worth far more than melt to ASE business strike collectors today. Worst case, you are correct, they are worth spot when sold.

20. statequarterguy

Darn, I kick myself all the time for not putting away rolls of SAE's back then. We viewed them as bullion and bullion was doing nothing for a long time, so I punted on them. You win some and some you don't.

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  21. statequarterguy

So, what do you think, sell this 2017-s ASE when the price hits 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 or....?

Draft saved Draft deleted