Whom do you trust?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by manny9655, Sep 5, 2020.

1. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I was just wondering, of those of you that order coins online, which dealers do you buy from on a regular basis and which ones do you avoid like the plague? A couple of the ones I've dealt with are Monument Metals and Provident. I but from Monument pretty often. I've also dealt with Jessica's Coins on Etsy, and despite what many people say about Etsy, I've found Jessica's to be fair and honest and reliable. Her inventory is limited but she's honest. I've shopped some of the other big dealers such as JMBullion and some of the others, but have found some of their pricing to be a bit high. I have a friend who buys from APMEX all the time and he says they're OK. Also, I've wanted to buy from dealers who advertise in the major magazines, but I've either read bad things about some of them (Gobrecht Numismatics and G & F Galleries among them), or with some that I would like to buy from, they either don't have a website, or if they do, they have no way to order online. To me, that's a turn-off. Bottom line, whom do you trust and whom do you stay away from? BTW, I haven't seen ads for G & F for several months...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Two of the online dealers I buy from are L & C coins and Mt. Vernon coins. I have found that their service is good and the coins are always as advertised. I live in a rural area with no LCS within 70 miles. Everything I obtain for my collection is over the internet. Not going to give you my whole list. LOL

Garlicus and manny9655 like this.
  4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I have bought from both of them and have no problems. However, I only buy new release stuff that I can't find in circulation. So, I don't have any experience with them regarding older coins.

Randy Abercrombie and manny9655 like this.
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I do not buy from any mail dealers. Since my former coin shop that I used closed for the pandemic, I use his online site, but most of my buys are from dealers here on CT as I know their history over time and all would know if anyone had a bad ending. Likewise watch for those who have a lot of problems.

Remember a good deal is good for both sides...Beware those that look too good and the coins mostly on Etsy or other similar sites, IMO, Jim

6. Goldsayshi463

Goldsayshi463 the person who says "hi" all the time

I actually need suggestions cuz every pawnshop or coin dealer I meet don’t have coins, I get scammed, or way too far
    those are good suggestions but those are within 20 miles from me so yeah

7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I only buy slabbed items so I don't concern myself as much with dealers.
    I have a favorite EAC dealer and a favorite small cent dealer.
    Most of the rest of my purchases come from GC and Heritage which of course are not dealer specific.
    I know L & C but they don't often list items I am looking for.
    Reeded Edge I find is very good to deal with.

manny9655 likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There's always one thing you always have to take into consideration. No matter what dealer you pick, even those with the very best of reputations, there is going to be somebody out there, some customer, who was not happy.

Now sometimes their unhappiness is warranted, but a whole lot of times it really isn't. The unhappiness is due to misunderstanding or lack of knowledge on the buyers part more than anything else.

And when you're looking for feedback from others, always remember to consider the source of the feedback. That, far more often than not, is the single most important part of it all !

green18, manny9655 and ldhair like this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

johnny.jpg

But he's too long gone......

manny9655 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted