Wholesale Price To Pay When Acquiring Coin Lots...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coll3ctor, May 4, 2021.

1. Coll3ctor

Coll3ctor New Member

What would be a fair wholesale price to pay (percentage wise) when acquiring average coins lots? Coin lots containing a mixture of things such as bullion, junk silver, proof/mint sets, silver dollars, etc... ect... Using past eBay sales as a "retail" number.

Eric the Red likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Depends on what is being sold...

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I would probably do a quick estimate of the melt value and offer 75%, you can always go up but not down.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have a guy that buys abandoned storage units. When he comes across jars or bags of old coins he calls me. The way the deal always goes is something like this..... He will set the bag down, we trade greetings... Then it is on.... I don’t even plunder the bag. I give it a quick look and make a mental note that I think maybe $200.00 in melt silver is in the bag. I get my wallet and peel out eighty bucks. He laughs and tells me he needs $150.00. I tell him a hundred is all he will get out of me. The deal is struck and he goes on about his business..... Now I typically make out well on these deals. I know all he wants from me is whatever he paid for the unit.

Point being is that if you take the time to inventory each item, examine and discuss it, you will end up buying at a fair market price. If you are looking for a deal then you need to trust your instincts and start dealing from there..... Now this isn’t a tactic I would use against a family that is liquidating granddads collection. I would have to be much more fair in a transaction like that.

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

If you're trying to sort through and re-sell it... your price has to include your time to go through it. Figure out what you think you can get reselling it, subtract your costs for profit, time, packaging, shipping, sorting, etc., and then base your whosesale price on that.

If you're buying it to have some fun... base that on how much fun you'll have, the likelihood you'll find something that you think will make it worth it, and how disappointed you might be if it's all UK and Canadian small change.

Eric the Red and Coll3ctor like this.
  7. Coll3ctor

Coll3ctor New Member

ThanX for the replies.

I see we think alike ;)

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's pretty much industry standard for dealers to offer 10% less than spot when buying, and sell for 10% more than spot for bullion and or junk silver - give or take a couple of percentage points, depending the dealer. Some go a little more than 10, some go a little less than 10.

If you run across somebody doing much different than that then you need to look elsewhere.

Coll3ctor and MIGuy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted