Who would take the time?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by wannahocalugie, Oct 7, 2019.

1. wannahocalugie

wannahocalugie New Member

I found this in the collection and I know Jack did not do this as he never had patience for anything. Who would take the time to carve it out and deface an old coin? Wild right? Won't ever know if it had a mint mark, but still kinda cool.

Attached Files:

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sold as a jewelry item at a flea market, could bring $5-$10... so if you have the skill and time, why not

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It was Jill who carved it.. She loved to carve many things.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's surprising how many people did this like this to coins. It's well done and worth a few dollars. I'm sure Jack picked it up in his travels. At least it's a common date and for an Indian Head Cent dated 1905 there would be no mintmark.

Paul M. and Stevearino like this.
  6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

People make all sorts of things out of coins. Go here, scroll down to the "Eclectic Numismatic Treasures" entries, and follow each link to part of an amazing collection of some pretty cool stuff. Get yourself a fresh cup of coffee and prepare to spend a bit of time perusing.

There's a cut-out $20 Saint in there somewhere. The date looks like 1921, but it was actually a 1924 coin that was cut.

Stevearino and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Back in the 70's, I would accompany my Mom to arts & crafts shows in and around the Maryland eastern shore. There was always someone set up to sell and display their handiwork making this kind of jewelry.

With the prices of precious metals what they are today, I would guess that these artisans are making much, much more from the sale of their jewelry and the leftover scraps than they ever would selling the low-grade coins.

Chris

8. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

I picked up a few of cut out coins a few years ago as part of some jewelry making equipment I bought from an estate. Fairly easy to do with a jewelers saw, but I have an aversion to cutting up coins, even for jewelry.

9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Kinda fun for what it is

10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I’ll just leave this here...

347983F4-D581-4A5B-9170-CEFB3972DC0E.jpeg C327D131-20AE-485E-9F5A-8FF0ADC0159D.jpeg

Mainebill and Paddy54 like this.
  11. wannahocalugie

wannahocalugie New Member

12. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Coins, even today, are cut up for rings; puzzles; made into charms; bracelets; used to cover floors, table, toilet lids and cars; construction; make cheap tap dancing shoes; buttons; and a variety of other uses.

Their use is only limited by one's own imaginative limitations.

The advantage using a coin is that it is usually much cheaper than buying metal of the same composition. And if you screw up you can still spend it and then use another ... so it's the only hobby/construction/etc material that has the same value after it is used (mostly).
    upload_2019-10-9_8-39-19.png

13. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

14. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Yeah. If that Jack or Jill only knew what they had done. Can't fix stupid.

Steve

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Somewhere on the PCGS forum is a Gobrecht dollar that's been cut out.

16. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

So you can do this to copper but not melt it? Okay.

Kentucky and Stevearino like this.
  17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

These were made with a scroll saw. Not hard to do but it takes time and steady hands.
    Image_1820.JPG Image_1821.JPG

18. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Wow! That's intense! How do they do that? Lasers?

19. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Whoops. Didn't read "made with a scroll saw". Apologies. Don't know what a scroll saw is but I guess it's not involving lasers.

20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I have seen a guy at the FUN show who was using lasers. It was pretty neat. The laser cut gets a much crisper trace, the scroll saw is going to give a more rustic feel.

The one I watched him make was from a Walker. If I had a use for it, I would have bought it because it looked really cool.

21. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You can cut the count out, you can flatten it as an elongate but you can't melt them.

Heavymetal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted