Who would bid on this 1926-S Buffalo?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by wxcoin, Sep 18, 2019.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'm sorta leaning towards this guy is legit but just has no idea how to use a camera.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It’s not that hard to shoot in-focus photos of the whole slab. If you don’t get a good photo, you take another one. How hard is that? He can’t shoot a photo of the whole slab, but he can shoot a close-up of the coin? Does anyone else see what is wrong here?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Stevearino and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  4. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Not if he had to hunt down some Fuji film, get it developed, find a scanner and upload it. :cigar:

wxcoin likes this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Who uses film anymore if you are posting photos to eBay on any regular basis. I have not used film in more than a decade.

wxcoin likes this.
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

If I can shoot a clear picture of a slab, the village idiot should be able to.

Stevearino and wxcoin like this.
  7. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

People who can't focus a slab that far away and still post it on eBay use film. :hilarious:

wxcoin likes this.
  8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Just have him give you the serial number. If he won't even do that, drop, tuck and roll away!

Stevearino likes this.
  9. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

That's all I want is the certification number.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That feature in the middle of the third date digit makes me think the slab says 1936.

11. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I can't tell if it's 36 or 26 even when I enlarge it. The last 2 photos clearly show the date as 1926. Doesn't mean it's the same slab. Also curious as to why those last 2 pics are so clear compared to the other ones.

12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That assumes people are perfectly logical and rational. The more years I live, the more I realize this is not the case.

However, the bait-and-switch theory is very plausible

wxcoin likes this.
  13. thomas mozzillo

Still no reply from the seller.

14. wxcoin

No reply. I may try again but my feeling right now is there's something rotten here. Too bad, the pictures without the certification number show a nice exanple in XF-45 condition. The question is whether those pictures are of a different coin than what's in the blurry slab pictures. I'll update this thread if I get any response from the seller.

Stevearino and thomas mozzillo like this.
  15. -jeffB

OK, I'll play dumb. Here's the question I sent:

If he doesn't answer this one, he might just be away. If he does, but ignores the ones asking for a cert #, I'd assume he's trying to run a scam. (OK, actually, I'm assuming he's running a scam either way.)

16. wxcoin

Just a follow up on my questions to the seller. I sent two messages about the blurry images of the slab and asked either to show better images or provide the NGC certification number. I got no response from both messages. One can reasonably assume that the blurry images are not unintentional and the seller hopes to scam the buyer.

17. Darkside

Darkside Member

I agree it looks like '36. And the cert number looks like 1895355-001. But who knows on this one... Hard Pass

18. -jeffB

Well, that would be entertaining, but it doesn't match the slab:

NGC Cert #
    1895355-001
    NGC Description
    1936 5C
    NGC Grade
    NOT GENUINE

I hauled the images into Photoshop, but couldn't get anywhere with the cert number.

19. thomas mozzillo

A few of us have contacted the seller asking for clearer photos but haven't received a reply. Wonder why?

20. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Don't set the bar too high...jeez. lol

wxcoin likes this.
  21. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Draft saved Draft deleted