who wants to take a stab at this one?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by 5150rider707, Feb 5, 2023.

1. 5150rider707

5150rider707 Active Member

Looks like someone shattered George's head. I thought it was some pond scum or something, but its part of the coin. I was then thinking shattered die, but most of the lines are not raised, but definitely not indented. Then I saw what looks like a flower! 2020-d Salt river quarter. weight is normal. Snap_197.jpg Snap_196.jpg Snap_195.jpg Snap_193.jpg Snap_192.jpg Snap_187.jpg Snap_186.jpg Snap_185.jpg Snap_198.jpg Snap_200.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Post Mint Damage. Nothing at the mint could do this. ;)
    Need better Pics. JMHO.

PamR and 5150rider707 like this.
  4. 5150rider707

best pictures my scope can get. That last picture you can see what appears to be a flower shape. That is very slightly raised. That cannot be done post mint. I should have mentioned to that looking straight down on this is hard to see the marks. Once light hits from an angle, the entire quarter glows with the design.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

ANYTHING can occur post mint. After 37 years studying coins and errors I've seen everthing! The composition of Clad is Cupro-Nickel and can look strange if some post mint alteration is done to it.

I'm thinking somebody could of hit it with an electrical current. That would affect the clad.

If it can't occur during the minting process then it's definitely not a mint error.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

What does the reverse look like?

PamR likes this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The other statements about no need for more photos because it’s post mint damage.

Just a tip. Please include photos of the whole coin if you want opinions. Those who grade coins for a living look at the whole coin and then the details. Nothing but close-ups is annoying.

8. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Just a tip! These guys been at it a while. If you do want the images to be viewed correctly, obverse and reverse likes to be viewed. Welcome to CT.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

These Microscopic photos don't help as said above.
    It is all environmental damage. I did not happen at the mint.

PamR likes this.
  10. 5150rider707

Thanks for all of the replies. The reverse side is perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with it. I’ll set up my camera with macro lens and try to get better pictures. This one is tough though because the damage is best viewed from an angle.

PamR likes this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

If you have to view it at an angle then it is definitely environmental damage, Stick it in a roll or flip and come back to it after you have learned more about the minting process and errors.

PamR likes this.
  12. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Some told me if you have to do flips and turn upside down to takes, it just may be damage. What do you think this image is? I have had and still have issues with PMD. 7FFC5D01-0CB7-40A3-B641-9CD18888B75F.jpeg 288D1548-05DB-4BCA-A757-8AA130C286FA.jpeg

13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That might actually be closer to the truth than you realize. It does look as though some kind of liquid contaminant was on there and subsequently evaporated, leaving that craquelure pattern.

I'm not sure we'll ever know what that was, and it's a moot point in any event, since, as mentioned by several, this was something that obviously happened post-mint. Which means that though it might look interesting, it's not an error.

-jeffB likes this.
  14. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Not an error, but just a liquid that has dried
    on the surface of the coin.

It's environmentally damaged surfaces......

15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@PamR - yep. PMD again. Best to post yours in their own thread.

16. 5150rider707

Here are better photos. I hope what I see is more visible now. I also enhanced the close up images to show the details I am looking at.

Attached Files:

17. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Post 1,000 more photos -- it's still PMD.

Draft saved Draft deleted