Who thinks this ebay coin is a real error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rascal, Nov 23, 2011.

1. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I'm sure glad that someone loves me ........................ how could I live without you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

No comment here

4. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Mike I'm sorry to keep bothering you so much but I just noticed something in your post that I missed when I read it the first time. when you mention the incuse pillars are you saying that this definately means a hammer job because the pillars are sunken in on Lincoln's head ? IMO a real clashed die coin if it is major enough would look exactly in every way to a hammer job minus all of the other ways to tell the differences in them when examined in hand. this is what the folks are trying to recreate when smashing the coins , IMO they are trying to make a coin look like a major die clash. If you want talk over the phone like we used to do or just talk you can PM me and I will tell you some more about the unusal coin.
    I do not blame you for calling it a squeeze job from looking at the photo,I did the same thing before I had the coin to look at in hand.

5. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I'd go with the former. =)

7. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I have a question for you . I see that you have been on this forum for a little over three years. Could you be kind enough to tell me how long this INATION or HAZING period lasts before a new member is in the little group?

on second thought never mind , I will just remain a outsider until this does stop because I want no part of this....... some of you are going to crash this CT forum if you don't calm down just like another one has almost already done because of the same problem. I do like this CT forum and if a certain few including you would keep your insults against folks and their coins like the CT rules says to yourself's , this forum would be a awesome error and other types of coins learning tool. If I was the MOD. and I may be one of these days we never know .... I would suspend the unruly ones for three days and give them three chances and after this if it still did not help them then the three strike rule would suspend them permantely no matter how many email addresses they had to make new accounts with. I would use their telephone number and other things to identify them with. I probably would go as far as to require a SS number.

To the Mods.
    I'm not trying to force you or tell you how to take better charge of this forum , I'm just dreaming and saying how I would operate it if I had the chance ............ Troy

8. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

I wouldn't necessarily be harder on ICG than the other services. I've detected squeeze jobs in NGC and ANACS slabs. It doesn't happen very often, but a single mistake of this nature is inexcusable.

9. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Mike we should not blame anyone yet because this coin has not yet been confirmed by anyone as a fake or altered coin. just because it looks to be so in the photo does not say that ICG made a mistake. they may have labeled it incorectly but I still truely believe it is a mint made coin . I'm hoping it is from a dropped die filling but after examining it more closely it looks like ICG may have nailed it. the dropped letter and dropped die filling coins are becoming one of favorite error coins. I am overloaded with the common stuff ........Troy

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Rascal, and Others, in order to have meaningful discussion of numismatics, the coin presented is open to all opinions, from highest praise to terminal dissection. The coin feels no pain. If it is thought to be a fake,call it so, if it is an excellent example, pay the compliment. But the coin is not the owner/poster. Any disdain for the coin does not equal an insult or direct slap to the owner. If that happens, the Mods will take action, but these hissy fits that have been occurring will not make it happen. I feel it is much better to have honest comments on the coins than rose petals for a "dog" that a person will then expect to sell it for a gold piece.

Speaking of rules, it doesn't say to not use direct opinion on a coin, no matter how bad, it says

So you can call the coin a fake, a dog, the 12 wonder of the world, just leave the owner and other posters person out of it.

And Mods do take serious trashing a person, but sometimes people think they are being trashed, but they are not, they just didn't like the answer given by others. We do our best to allow a diversity of opinion, but sometimes a person is just plain Wrong, and to keep pushing eventually will wear down the good nature of almost anyone. IMO.

Jim

11. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Thanks Jim

I was mostly talking about rule #3 when I mentioned to not abuse a person or their coin. some folks on here appears to try to put others down just because they don't like the coin. further more I already know that regardless of what folks says about a coin on here it will not raise or lower it's value or help to authenticate it in any way. because IMO it is close to impossible to authenticate or declare it a fake coin from a photo unless it is a well known major error and easy to see.Although I do understand what you are saying , some folks may think this CT forum will make a coin worth a gold piece. Troy

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I think you mean rule #2 , and it doesn't contain the "abusing the coin" part.

Saying yours or anyone coin is a fake in the poster's opinion is not a personal attack. Saying something like " Your coin is a fake and you are stupid not to know " does contain a personal attack ( in red) but not the coin( It is not a person).

Hope this clarifies things somewhat.

13. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

Hazing? That's one of the most crazy accusations I've heard here. One only gets negative input (hazing, I guess, in your eyes) when they ASK for opinions, and refuse to even consider the advice....especially from those who have forgotten more than most of us can remember.

Why does this thread still have legs, let alone a heartbeat, anyway???

Seems that rascal's refusal to take advice, and his insistence he is right and everyone's wrong, conjurs up thoughts of two other members (one from Canada...big error 'expert'), and one from Cali, who thought he knew more than QDB, who has been long gone (not QDB, but the poster), but does come back on occasion, only to get 'found out' again and given the appropriate size boot.

This thread should just get locked, poofed, burned at the stake...whatever it takes. It is of no informational value...and regardless of all the insanity, it is STILL JUST an '88 Lincoln in an ICG XF40 slab...what is the big deal? If it's such a big score, why did it only go for $12 (not going through this nonsense to find the price, but remember it was under $13??????????? If it's such a great error, put it back up...guarantee you lose money. It's an '88 in XF, for gosh sakes. Now, if it were on a dime planchet, it's still held back by it's grade. Good thing it was sent to ICG...less of a loss on the coin after grading fees/FVF/PP fees, than if it went to PCGS or NGC.

14. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Ok I admit I got it wrong when I said to not abuse a person or their coin. I was tired and misworded my sentence without thinking. I know that a coin can not be abused by nasty words , I just wrote it wrong. I have noticed that things have gotten a million times better in the past few days and if it's you Mod's doing it then you are doing it right . keep up the good work. Troy

15. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Ok I can see that you are really enjoying my CT posts. you are only hurting yourself and this CT forum with your words and your words can never harm me. so if the MOD'S don't care what you do then I sure as heck will not let it worry me. So carry onwards .....

16. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I understand. I was jsut saying, between a mistake by ICG and a fake ICG slab, the former is more likely. So, have you ever detected one in a PCGS slab?
    Thanks.

17. mikediamond

I haven't found any sandwich job in a PCGS slab, but I have found other fakes, including a resized nickel slabbed as a wrong planchet error and a counterfeit, vertically misaligned second strike on a cent. I freely admit that I don't encounter outright fakes very often, but incorrect descriptions and diagnoses are common among all the grading services. Sometimes obvious post-strike damage is misinterpreted as an error. I wrote a column some months ago on "foldover" errors slabbed by ANACS that are nothing more than badly damaged error coins. There are lots of those in the marketplace.

18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Then you must know Jamez .

19. mikediamond

I have no idea who you're talking about or how my observations relate to anything this "Jamez" has said.

20. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

Not trying to harm you in any way. You'd know if I was. You are way too defensive. What I AM saying, (and it's not that 'I misworded my sentence without thinking', or other excuses....I don't use excuses... I shoot from the hip) is that you should LISTEN to those with more knowledge in this area. Disputing errors with Mike Diamond is like, well, you just don't do it, he's put years and years worth of time into the specific area. He doesn't have a column about errors in CW for no reason.

And the reason it seems to be getting more civil isn't due to the mods...it's because members are tired of trying to help and getting pooh-pooh'ed because you think you know more. I shouldn't even post this, as it'll prevent it from falling further down the ladder, but I must, as I don't try to 'hurt' anyone here, but rather, try to HELP, like most here that you've blown off, have tried to do. It's milder because everyone realizes you won't take GOOD advice, and they realize you don't have a great, expensive error...hence you getting it for about $12, but you insist it is. If it WERE something that was 'special', it would have gone for ALOT more, instead of LESS than what it cost to get it graded.

And remember, YOU asked the original question, "Who thinks this ebay coin is a real error?" If you didn't want to hear the opinions of those who think it isn't, why ask the question to begin with, if you are certain it's a wonderful error? It's almost as if you posted it to start what this thread has turned into. This is my last post to this 'thread'....and to answer the original question.....it's PMD,not an error. I'll end it with what I've said numerous times....it's still only an '88 Lincoln in XF with PMD.

21. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Mike I read that you were past president of CONECA , and the person I was asking if you knew held or holds a seat on the board , really don't know what his title is . He's also the administer of the CONECA forum . Why I thought you'd make the connection with something I was thinking was my bad . But you really don't need to get hot over it .

Draft saved Draft deleted