Who here hates the new Ebay payout deal?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rushmore, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

For a lack of a better word, I was pissed when I heard about the change they were requesting. I thought it would cost me more (it was acutally a tiny fraction less than with paypal) however in the short term it didn't. In the long term, they've dug their fingers into the skin and are ready to rip it out to increase fee's in the near future. Bet on it.
    On the entire other hand, you have a captive audience and you are paying for it. What I would suggest to others is to promote other sites that don't charge as much to sell and are coin friendly. My suggestion to you is USA Coin book. Check them out.

Cliff Reuter, MIGuy and ToughCOINS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

at one time they were the same company, not anymore, thus the new payout system

4. Daniel Lowery

Daniel Lowery Active Member

This all comes as I want to sell my coins. How do you all do that if not on eBay?

5. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

usacoinbook, free to post and just 2 % of sale price if you sell pay pal is form of payment

6. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

Cash flow mgt now more complex - when will I get my money and how much they taking. And I can’t turn around on PayPal use funds immediately send to my bank or buy something using pp.

Like a lot of things in life when they change stuff up…..

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Depends what it is. eBay is still usable its just that the old system was better. You can look at Great Collections or David Lawarence to auction them as well if they have enough value.

8. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Yep. Takes me days to get paid.

9. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Interestingly I found that I am getting paid sooner than or similar to PayPal under the new system. My fees are slightly lower on average than when PayPal was involved.

I don't like that they keep a fee if you have to do a refund, that REALLY pisses me off big time.

As for the other issues, Generally a phone call to eBay to preempt certain situations (USPS not scanning and not knowing where the item is, for example) seems to help put a brake on being forced to refund.

MIGuy likes this.
  10. schnickelfritz48

schnickelfritz48 Well-Known Member

- Edited - Ebay wants to control the entire shopping/selling experience from start to end and all steps in between. - Edited -

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2021
  11. baseball21

Paypal is an instant payment so not really sure how having it held could be quicker than instant.

I cant remember the exact numbers but some values its cheaper some its more expensive

12. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

I never used the 'Instant Pay' button, I'm not that desperate for my $$$ to increase my overheads. My funds generally are deposited within 1-2 days which is no different to PayPal

As I said "On Average", I've made plenty of sales and yes, some cost more some cost less, but my hard numbers show Overall it has cost me less in fees.

13. baseball21

I have absolutely no idea what you are even referencing. As soon as you get paid on paypal the money is there for you unless you just opened the account. There's no "instant pay button" that costs more

14. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

As I don't have any funds in my PP account atm I can't really show you.

When I have funds and I want to transfer them to my bank I have 2 options 1: 'Instant Payment' which costs a fee or 2: A normal transfer, which they say takes 1-3 days, no fee attached and it usually hits my bank account the next day

15. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

USAcoinbook, thanks for reminding us that that site is still around. I haven't checked it out in months.

16. baseball21

Oh you were talking about the bank transfer not the fees being able to be used. That's on your bank if they take that time, mine does it right away The instant transfer is just marketing for the most part like the eBay promoted listings

17. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I rarely use the paypal bank transfer. My paypal debit card is backed up by my checking account, so if I have no paypal balance, then it is taken out of checking. When somebody used to pay with paypal it was in the paypal balance immediately, now with managed payments, a paypal payment will take a couple days to be put in my paypal account. That is the only reason I don't like it and haven't sold on eBay since the change to managed payments.
    Yes eBay is still a good option for selling, and will cost you about 13% in fees all totaled. I just don't like the idea of the money being held up.

18. notehunter494

notehunter494 Member

I do nearly 100% of my business on eBay, buy and sell. I have read most of the posts, getting lazy on page three here. There are many collectors/buyers posting but only a few business people. The customer is always right, period. You work on margins and risk. You have to believe most people to be honest. Business is a trust and you work on the numbers. If getting beat somehow bothers you go to work for someone and get a check. You will have problems from time to time selling on eBay. I eliminate most of them by offering free same day shipping and free no questions asked returns. I communicate throughout the transaction letting the customer know how and when their items will ship and when they have shipped, and I say "Thank you" just the right amount. I have a store where I have researched Buy It Now prices and more and more I have the Best Offer feature. I have most of the angles the crooks are up to figured out and I am not beyond video taping packing/opening of purchases and returns if my antenna goes up. One member here posted that "you can't beat the exposure" wrt eBay and that is the truth. 65 million people a day visit the platform. Try getting that to a web site. I am not a cheerleader for eBay. There is a lot that could be better but better costs more $ and I for one do not want to pay a cent more. I support the platform and members that sell there, as I look at items for purchase or research I will leave a bid wherever I visit. I want there to be action! If a new seller posts something and gets no action do you think they will sell on eBay again? I want it to be the "place to be". I believe as sellers we all succeed together or fail together and I do not want to try to find or build a "Better" or "Another" place. eBay is it. Lately eBay is becoming more pro active realizing that most of their sellers are lame at marketing their products so to help their own bottom line they are offering expert marketing programs and incentives. They know everything about my business that I don't know, heck all I know all about are my offerings, I know nothing about marketing, clicks, other venues etc. They do not even have to know what I am selling, they know how to move product and are giving me exposure on many other sites like twitter, facebook and others I do not even know. Just remember when on eBay do everything the "eBay way" and more often than not eBay will have your back.

serafino likes this.
  19. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

There is a certain amount of tension between some of these remarks.

20. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

I kinda like it. Been a member since October 1996 and these changes happen every so often. If I have a Pay-Pal balance then I'm likely to spend it vice transferring it to my account. Well not likely - I WILL spend it. I buy way more than I sell - maybe sell 3-4 items a year. Don't really like them having my bank account number but fortunately NFCU lets you have many checking accounts so I made one just for this.

Draft saved Draft deleted