Who else do you know...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gboulton, Aug 24, 2011.

1. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

...that would use a common date Morgan to show the size of the Praying Mantis on the front porch?? :too-funny:

v8rsen.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

lol. That is a huge praying mantis! Or a small Morgan dollar...

4. gboulton

We grow bugs big here. :) This guy has been around for a week or so now...I think he's giving some thought to the hummingbirds in the flower bed. :eek:

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Just looks like a three to four inch specimen, average size. Now when you find a six to eight inch one then you've got a big one.

6. gboulton

We've seen a couple that size over the years. Largest one we've seen in the neighborhood so far was 3-4 years ago, just under 9". He liked to hang out by the pond and feed on small frogs.

Figuring that it's still not September yet, and we likely aren't due a hard bug-killin' freeze for another couple months, this guy may see 6-7" before he's done. Have to hope he eats well. :)

7. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I am not so sure I have ever seen one in person. Are they in MI as well?

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

They are facinating creatures. I've seen 'em in my neck o' the woods.

9. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I'm sure they are in Michigan, they're here in Ohio. You don't see them very often and if they're in shrubbery or bushes they are well camouflaged and hard to spot. They are one of the "good" bugs and should always be left alone. They eat many times their own weight in harmful insects.

10. gboulton

And small amphibians....and occasionally fish...and even hummingbirds! :eek:

My favorite trait of theirs, however, is that they are ruthlessly efficient wasp killing machines.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They look rather vicious and they can act aggressive but they won't hurt you. Only insect my last cat couldn't handle. She was quite unnerved when the mantis she was trying to bat attacked her, leaping at her, latching onto her nose and then proceeding up her face. When she finally managed to shake it off it landed beside her and then resumed the attack. That was too much for her she shook it off again and took off running. We picked it up and returned the victor to the bushes.

12. gboulton

To the foliage goes the victor!

(Sorry...couldn't help it)

13. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Someone has a bit too much time on their hands lol

14. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Love those Praying Mantis~ We would find those nests when I was a kid on bushes and such.. I believe they hold hundreds when they hatch guess most dont make it though...

15. gboulton

I really ought to change the title of this thread to..

Who else do you know could post a picture of a Morgan on CoinTalk, and have the thread be about bugs?

:D

Draft saved Draft deleted