Who Collects Holed Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mikenoodle, Apr 29, 2020.

1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Hey everyone:

If I recall correctly there was at least one person here on CT who collected holed coins in fact, was trying to complete a type set of holed coins.

Does anyone remember who that person is?

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

@lordmarcovan was the most notable collector of holed coins that I've known.

I think he sold off that set, though.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I collect holed coins but I'm not trying to complete a set of any kind.
    I like them for making jewelry without being the person responsible for putting a hole in a perfectly good coin.
    Also, holed coins in bad condition are ripe for the melting pot, though I haven't begun melting and molding ingots or anything as of yet. I don't yet have enough cull silver coins to go that route. When I do I will have to invest some money into those tools and some time into learning those procedures.

PM me if you have anything I might be interested in.

5. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I am innocent of collecting holey coins, but since this thread is about holey coins I will share some of my holey coins. They are indeed holey but don't blame me, I didn't do it.

10Sen1938Obverse.png 10Sen1938Reverse.png Heisei2019_5.png Heisei2019_50.png

I hope you find the mystery holey coin collector. In either case, I hope that these holes brought you plenty of joy. Enough of them stackup together could make a little miniature hadron collider, then you could create little black holes. Then how holey would you be?

Hookman and calcol like this.
  6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I once did a 1876 minor coins w/holes 1876 Holed set.jpg

7. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

The U.S. Mint designed and made coins with holes, like the one pictured in the link below. It's a J-1724 nickel. Some folks collect them. And no, it's not mine. :( If you want one, you'll have to be patient and have deep pockets. :wideyed:

Cal

link: https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1256-4705.s

dwhiz likes this.
  8. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

There is (or was) a poster on here that had a wonderful collection of early copper varieties, all culls or holed. I thought it was brilliant, since assembling an undamaged set like that would be prohibitively expensive for a regular schmoe like me and a lot of other folks. He inspired me to keep an eye out for similar coins.

Hopefully someone can name the member, as I can't remember or find the thread.

Hookman likes this.
  9. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

This is a deep cut for the older members, but @The_Cave_Troll had a holed type set.

Mike, you're likely thinking of who Jason pointed out in post #2 of this thread.

Hookman and mikenoodle like this.
  10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Thank you Travis

Great to see you

Lord M's holed coins were different tho. His were worn and largely world coins IIRC. The Cave Troll is probably the one I remember.

The truth is, we took in a holed Baseball Hall Of fame Silver Dollar and I was hoping to pass on a new type for that collection.

Hookman likes this.
  11. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

If I could just get my DeWalt fixed, I'd have a holed collection too.

Cal

Hookman and dwhiz like this.
  12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

1876 20 cent piece is very low mintage.

Hookman likes this.
  13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I recall @lordmarcovan having a holed collection. Not sure if he sold the whole collection ??? The famous hat and vest....

003-HGH copy.jpg
    002-Holey_Coin_Vest_II copy.jpg

14. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

My biggest problem with him throughout the years has been his outright refusal to save any women for the rest of us.

spirityoda and Hookman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted