Who can tell the difference in Cr 28/4, 29/4 & 30/2

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Feb 6, 2016.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Feb 6 2016 Quad Drachm.JPG Feb 6 2016 003.JPG

I picked up a new demonimation this week, an Anonymous AR Drachm or Half-Quadrigatus. I am at a loss to tell the difference in Crawford numbers 28/4, 29/4 and 30/2. The tiny pictures in my book do not look different to me. I think the two examples of 29/4 in my book look less alike than the 28 vs 29 vs 30! If I had to make a call, I would say I have a 28/4 based on the side burn length. The coin was sold by two reputable auction companies as Cr 28/4 in one and Cr 29/4 in the other.
    Roman Republican silver Drachm, uncertain mint, 225-212 BC.
    Obv.: Laureate Janiform head of Dioscuri. R
    ev.: Jupiter, holding scepter and hurling thunderbolt, in fast quadriga left driven by Victory. In exergue, ROMA.

Feb 6 2016 007.JPG Feb 6 2016 010.JPG
    For comparison, the drachm and didrachm. My guess is the left didrachm is older than the right one, but have the same trouble as above when trying to assign a Crawford number.
    Note that all 3 A's have the form where the cross line starts on the right leg and goes to the base line in the middle.

I find Roman Republican coin attribution a bit like a game in my Sunday paper.

spot8Differences.jpg
    http://www.jeremyperson.com/spot-the-8-differencs-between-these-two-pictures/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i can't tell at all RRD....but that's a cool RR. awesome janiform head.

just looking at online stuff, i would guess 28/4...scepter, shape of bottom of head?

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Love your new coin, especially the Janiform heads. But, sad;ly, I cannot tell the diff. either.

5. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Love the photo from your Sunday paper....describes exactly how I feel when trying to read Crawford!

But to answer your question. I think the tiny photos in Crawford are not use useful when trying to distinguish between these issues, so I went to his text on pages 102-104. If I understand the text correctly, the easiest way to tell the difference between these 3 coins by looking at the reverse.

28/4 Victory is standing in chariot with incuse legend

29/4 Victory is standing in chariot, but legend is in relief placed on a tablet shaped like an inverted trapeze

30/2 Victory is standing on the tailboard, not the chariot (the whole of her figure is visible) with inches legend

On your coin, the legend ROMA appears to be raised, which would eliminate 29/4 (your tablet appears to be sunken, so maybe that is what caused someone to catalog this as 29/4?). Hard to tell if Victory is standing in the chariot or the tailboard, but not all of her figure is visible....so I would eliminate 30/2.

And thus conclude 28/4. What do you think?

Carthago and Alegandron like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

That is how I was able to attribute my Quadrigatus didrachm and my Half-Quadrigatus drachm...
    @rrdenarius I really like your coins! Excellent captures!

7. Alegandron

That is how I was able to attribute my Quadrigatus didrachm and my Half-Quadrigatus drachm...
    @rrdenarius I really like your coins! Excellent captures!

8. Alegandron

Oops, sorry. I am travelling and my hotel keeps jumping from one wifi to another! Baymont 1, Baymont 2, Baymont 3!

9. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I would put mine in 28 based on sideburn length, but not with a lot of conviction. All of the drachms have ROMA below an exergue (Sp?) line. The British Museum has better pics of all three types. Their 30/2 shows more of Victory, so I think it is safe to rule out 30/2.

PS - who noticed the 8 differences were the 8 missing legs?

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I did (well, after I read the answer)

:oops:

... and that was after I spent a good minute analyzing the cartoon (thanks => that's a minute that I'll never get back)

Oh, but cool OP-coin (congrats)

:rolleyes:

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted