Whitman March show canceled

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tibor, Jan 26, 2021.

1. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Just received an email from Whitman. Disappointing but understandable. Maybe the summer show.

Parthicus and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Yup I got that too.
    I live just south of Baltimore. Today it was announced that the state will be turning the convention center into a mass vaccination center along with several other places.

While I am bummed that the show isn't happening, I'd rather see the convention center used in this way to get as many people vaccinated as possible, than for a coin show. The sooner we get people vaccinated, the sooner we can safely hold coin shows again.

Easy as that :)

Magnus87, Tusky Ranger, MIGuy and 2 others like this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I'd like to come by for the Fall show.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  5. furryfrog02

The last show that FFIVN and I attended was the November 2019 show. I would love to go to a show with him. I am looking forward to when that is safe to do.

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Might as well cancel the summer show now too unless there's going to be divorce lawyer tables. Good luck convincing a spouse "sorry honey I know everythings been shut down for a year and we haven't had a vacation in forever, but I'm going to a coin show"

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I don't hold out much hope for the summer show either.
    The word is that the Baltimore Convention Center won't be available.
    Someone is trying to find another location.
    But the way COVID shots are NOT being given around here, I don't hold out much hope.
    I'm 79 and am not even scheduled for my shot yet.
    And don't forget, the COVID vaccine is a TWO shot series.

The November show could be the next Baltimore show.

IF I can get my shots in time I've got my eye on two other shows:
    -- Central States (I think that's a summer show)
    -- summer FUN show
    Problem is, the cost of transportation and hotel is the price of a good coin or two.

GoldFinger1969 and furryfrog02 like this.
  8. furryfrog02

I agree that the June summer show is a bit of a stretch. I hope we as a country are able to get vaccine production and administration kicked into high gear soon. I don't know if that is possible though.

9. tibor

Well there is still hope Summer FUN, Central States, Long Beach and
    Summer ANA, this year in Rosemont (Chicago). Surely one or two of
    these will take place.

10. GoldFinger1969

Anybody been to Central States in recent years ? How has that show held up attendance and dealer-wise ?

11. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Anything west of the Mississippi I see as costing too much, what with transportation and lodging.
    And that's why I haven't even been to FUN and Central States.
    But I'm getting desperate just to GO to a show so they are in the mix.

The Baltimore Whitman shows are just up the road from me and at most cost me 4-5 gallons of gas; that has spoiled me.

tibor and furryfrog02 like this.
  12. GoldFinger1969

Looking forward to hitting Baltimore Whitman in November.

Much longer trip for you I know, but my 1st and only time last January @ FUN was a blast. :cigar: :D

13. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

No Idea why they don't have the large shows in Indianapolis, Indiana Convention Center. I went to a convention there a long time ago, it's pretty much middle America and was a good location to get to for everyone around the country.

Anywho. I guess they like to do a regional thing a few times a year or something. but that's a good place for a large, one shot a year thing.

Only one I'm able to get to is the Orlando FUN show, but even that is like a 3-1/2 hour dive that I don't want to do. there's smaller local things, or there used to be, and I'm not booking a flight to go across the country to a coin show. driving it's 5-1/2 hours on the interstate just to get out of Florida from south Florida. Longest Drive Ever. LOL. probably the only thing worse is trying to drive out of San Antonio tx. to any other state.

furryfrog02 and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  14. GoldFinger1969

FUN January definitely wants to be in Florida in January. It's right after the Holidays and it's the reason they draw so many people at that time of the year.

John Burgess likes this.
  15. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I get FUN. It's "Florida United Numismatists" it should be in florida somewhere and central Florida makes sense, my post was more about the larger shows like Whitman or the ANA shows.

16. GoldFinger1969

I read that Central States has seen attendance and dealer declines, maybe they should goto Indianapolis.

17. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

We were told that the Covid shots would be given out to people over 65 at the convention center on Saturday Morning at 7A, so we thought we would be cool and be there early, like, about 6A. When we got there, I think every person in the state that was over 65 were in line. We were told later that the line extended something like 4 miles weaving in and out of streets. A friend told us that they went there later and only waited about a half an hour. We're going again tomorrow. We were given a time to be there at 11:10AM. Several people were given the same time.
    Supposedly, there was supposed to be a coin something starting later.
    Everybody is goin crazy. When I was 13, were were given sugar cubes with medicine in them. We had to have 2 more boosters later.
    Have I gotten on the wrong forum. If so, I am sorry. Best of luck to all of you and good health.

18. Lembeck13

Lembeck13 Active Member

Any word on this weekend's coin show in Timonium, MD?

19. furryfrog02

Last I saw, those hadn't been happening.

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

I've gone to the last few Central States shows because it's the largest show in the Chicagoland area (when the ANA is not in town). I've read that some dealers stopped attending and that attendance was falling slightly. I like it since the other shows in the area feature fewer dealers (mostly just locals), have less choice, and don't have as many people to sell to. The ANA show and FUN (never been, only read reports) are quite bigger but Central States is easier to maneuver. It is big enough to offer a good selection (although it can fall short in the world/ancient departments) and at the same time small enough to see most tables in a single day.

They used to move it around to other Midwest states (this was before I first attended) but attendance was often lower and it was less convenient. Central States is now in Schaumburg, IL. That is close to O'Hare (~20 minute drive) so it is easy to fly in for out of state dealers. It is also a fairly quick drive from many of the surrounding suburbs and Wisconsin.

21. tibor

Back in the 80's the Central States show would move around if I
    remember correctly. When they were in Indianapolis the show was
    not very well attended by national dealers (400+ miles away). They
    said it was to hard to get with the airport not being a major hub
    and you had an extra connection.

Draft saved Draft deleted