Whitman Folder Coin Damage

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by adelaide888, May 26, 2020.

1. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I do coins and genealogy. If the coin's albums are not archival, then it has acid in the paper from how the wood is processed. It will affect the coins over time. Think of the coin flips made with PVC-based plastic flips, holders, and boxes.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

I've not had too many problems with the Dansco albums with slip covers. But then again, I live in the desert in southern Nevada. Dry-warm-hot-dry. Did I mention very low humidity? lol

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I assume the type of albums you are referring to is Caps Albums? Based on what I can find, that’s about as safe as it gets. Thoughts?

Also...I didn’t know they can coin folders in the Stone Age. :happy:

Inspector43 and CoinCorgi like this.
  5. adelaide888

adelaide888 Active Member

Ohhhhh... just looked up the Caps Albums and I really like the way they look. Please say they're okay for a middle-of-the-road but beloved collection.

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. CamaroDMD

I have a couple...and I think they are very safe as they use airtites. The pages are thick so they are hard to turn...but this is how I plan to store any raw sets I build going forward unless given a really good reason not to. I also like how you can do custom pages, so a set album can be tweeked to your liking.

7. Michael M Mabb

Michael M Mabb New Member

I have always used Dansco albums and as of yet seen no problems.Not saying they are the best but always thought they were a better made product. My collection was always from the time I started kept in 2x2's in a home safe that has an element to control moisture till I could afford Dansco albums that are now also kept in the safe.My question is what is the best way to protect your coins other then having them all slabbed?? I want to thank anyone in advance for your feedback.

Inspector43 and Stevearino like this.
  8. CamaroDMD

I'm a big fan of airtite capsules. The problem with them is I really like having my coins in an album of some kind so I can view them and see them as a set. A few years back, I discovered Caps Albums and have been loving them ever since. They aren't perfect...they are fairly expensive, they are large, and the pages don't turn great. But, I think they are the safest available.

I'd really like to hear what the more experienced folks think of them... @GDJMSP, what do you think?

Inspector43 likes this.
  9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

sherrif.gif

10. GDJMSP

To the best of my knowledge : the inner portion of the pages are not inert material, the outer portion the album is not inert material. And since Air-Tites are not airtight, and since plastic is air permeable, and since the cardboard outer covers and the cardboard inner pages put off gasses that are harmful to coins - I'd have to say they're not much different than any other album. Or to put it a different way, just as bad as any other album.

If you wanna protect your coins to the best of your ability then EVERYTHING has to be made of inert material ! And then you still have to store the albums properly. And that means you don't leave them out - ya gotta put 'em away in sealed containers, kept in cool dark places where the temperature remains fairly constant, with desiccant rechargeable packs.

Inspector43 and Stevearino like this.
  11. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I never could see putting a coin in a holder that costs more than the coin. I like the Airtites and the Caps Album but they are expensive. I am trying to put my National Parks quarters in Caps blank sheets. They come from the mint in Airtites in a set of 3. But, the Airtites are glued in and the glue is impossible to remove. So, the choice is to leave them as is or put them in new Airtites. Storage and visibility has always been an issue.

Stevearino and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Remember, the Inert Gases don't even exist anymore, they are the Noble Gases :)

13. GDJMSP

I certainly understand what you're saying. But my opinion has always been that if you like a coin well enough to add it to your collection, then it's worth the 50 cents (or less) it cost to put that coin in an Air-Tite, store it properly, and protect it to the best of your ability.

And I don't care if you got the coin out of change or paid 6 figures or more for it, it's the same thing. It's worth 50 cents to protect it. And if you spend that 50 cents when you find the coin - you'll never miss it. But you will always be glad you spent it in the years to come ;)

ldhair and Inspector43 like this.
  14. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. GDJMSP

I'm a strong believer in Intercept Shield products, have been since the day they came out with the stuff. Used it for many years and it always did its job without fail.

There's lots of different albums out there that "say" they protect your coins. They employ all kinds of different methods, but the problem with almost all of them is that they only go halfway - they only do half the job. As long as the outer album cover is made of cardboard, or is covered with vinyl - that's bad. Or if the album pages are made of cardboard, even if/when they're covered with plastic - that's bad. Those are the very things you need to keep away, far away, from your coins.

There is a solution to this problem if the makers of the albums would only use it. All they gotta do is use different materials. No vinyl, ever, and either archival quality cardboard or outer covers and inner pages made of an inert plastic. Do that and the problems with albums are solved !

But until they do that, the problems are always gonna remain.

Stevearino likes this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That's because under the proper conditions just about all of them can be forced to form compounds. So they are just Noble and don't want to get together with the "commoners".

Kentucky, Stevearino and CamaroDMD like this.
  17. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

Seems to me that perhaps new Whitmans should have plastic removed, and pages too, then 'aired out', like in a sunny window...

Anyone know any other chemicals besides sulpher in paper / plastic ?

(couple years Organic and Inorganic chem makes me think some chemicals in paper, and plastic [PVC ?] might not exactly be 'inert' )

18. GDJMSP

They are most definitely not inert - and that is the problem. But not all plastics contain the PVC softening agents and those that do not, which is the vast majority of them, are inert. And paper and or cardboard can be made to be of archival quality - meaning it will do no harm to coins.

Stevearino likes this.
  19. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Member

I had to laugh, most people think that living by the ocean is a plus, even with hurricanes and rising ocean levels! I guess coin collectors are a strange breed.

adelaide888 and Stevearino like this.
  20. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

Ok - fine.

PVC - a 'softening agent' ? I have not heard that ...

('plastic', is an adjective. Silly Putty from '60's is 'plastic'. Human brain is 'plastic' ; only Q was, can Whitman paper and plastic sleeves (PVC ? ) be made to be 'less' volatile / inert ???

---------
    ed.:
    and FEW elements are 'inert'. Even water (compound; not element) is self-ionizing (into H30 (acid), and OH (base) ) ...............

21. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Draft saved Draft deleted