Whitman Expo

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jaelus, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Anyone going to the Whitman Expo this week? I'll be there on Friday.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Budget season in Harrisburg. Kills summer Baltimore nearly every time.

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I will be there Saturday with my son. He is looking forward to checking off some requirements for cub scout badges as well as looking at all the coins and helping me pick out a new gold coin.

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Was going to go Thursday, but can't make it this time. Next show I do will be Summer FUN in Orlando.

6. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

Home improvement spending (recently became empty nesters!) leaves my pockets empty right now. Hope to be at the Fall/Winter show.

C-B-D likes this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure it’ll be mostly abandoned by the weekend and not worth the drive for me so I’m passing

8. Jaelus

That's why I'm going on Friday! The Summer show is always pretty light, but still worth it for me since I mostly go to sell and do TPG submissions. Saturday will be a ghost town by 1-2PM I'm sure.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

Whether they INTEND it or not, Whitmans have become essentially Thursday and Friday shows. Saturday looks bad, really abandoned.

Jaelus and C-B-D like this.
  10. baseball21

I don’t get the logic of having the Thursday part of it

11. V. Kurt Bellman

All I can say is what I've heard - the dealers like Thursdays. Dealer-to-dealer business is frequently spoken of.

12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I'll be there Friday, probably at 10AM.
    I'm normally done by noon.

13. baseball21

Yea, but that's always the first day. If they started Friday it'd be then and at least some may be more likely to stick around for Saturday. Does seem like more and more just go for the dealer to dealer and leave.

They really should move that show to DC as well, way more money in the area for locals to come by

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Most shows used to be Friday, Saturday, and Sunday but they became ghost towns on Sunday. So they dropped the Sunday and some added Thursday. Now they are ghost towns of Saturday. Do you think they should drop the Saturday now?

15. furryfrog02

It's unfortunate that a lot of people leave on Saturday. As someone who works through the week, Saturday or Sunday are the only days I can go to shows.

16. Jaelus

I'd love to not have to take a day off of work to go on Friday, but it's a bit of a drive and Saturday is a waste of my time. The dealers are there for dealer-to-dealer transactions and want to get back home too. I get it. It's not the only show that's dead on Sunday.

17. furryfrog02

Luckily I am only a 20 minute drive away so it's not too bad. There will be enough people there on Saturday I'm sure to be able to find what I want and for my son to enjoy looking around. If I can't find what I want, oh well. There's always next time.

18. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

I'm going to be there on Friday ...

Jaelus likes this.
  19. baseball21

Not drop Saturday. Drop Thursday so Sunday is dead and Saturday could have a chance so there’s at least one day people can go without being retired

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  20. V. Kurt Bellman

They'll never go to DC. Tax reasons.

21. baseball21

Northern VA or Southern MD would work just as well to get the money in the area

Draft saved Draft deleted