Whitman Encyclopedia Colonial and Early American Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Seascape, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

If you are even dabbling in colonials and don't have this you should seriously consider it. Just got mine yesterday. This will pay for itself in 1 purchase I suspect. Nicely written and edited.

Note: Order from Wizard if you want but they might send you the wrong book then not answer your emails therefore leaving it up to you and ebay to sort it out. Setting your purchase back 2 weeks.

Note: There was a guy on Ebay like you and me that had 1. He was more than happy to forward me a copy at a good price in new condition 1 day faster than them. s-l400-5.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charley

charley Well-Known Member

My thought on the book was it was a sort of rehash compilation of other excellent sources and researchers, and not groundbreaking of new facts. I am not suggesting not to buy. It is an alternative for certain, if a collector does not have other sources in their personal Library, and does not want to hunt down alternative sources. I guess it is a convenience factor, on the line of many other Bowers books that he has lent his name for publication.

4. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

Either way charlie I believe it was you that extended the courtesy of looking an example up for me in this book. Therefore sparking my interest in buying it. I have found it thus far pretty nice to kick back with.

charley likes this.
  5. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It's a great book at a good price. The first edition had a few errors, but I believe these have been rectified in the second.

charley likes this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Great general reference if you're only going to have 1 book on Colonials, IMO. I have a copy but only use it if I don't have the reference for the specific series.

charley likes this.
  7. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct. I agree it is a good book to have if, as I mentioned, a personal library doesn't have other resources.
    I was, when I first received it, expecting some new and more extensive info. Is it a convenient quick reference? Absolutely. I simply did not want other members to buy it with the thought it was fresh research. The compilation info method of the book is fine.

Then again, I am happy when any collector buys the book and not the plastic.

Draft saved Draft deleted