Whitman Baltimore

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Oysterk, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Great show really enjoyed the day. Made some nice variety purchases, and will post them later. Met up with Alan of coinzip.com , and his buddy Bill . Also had the pleasure of PennyGuy who drove down from Michigan for the show .
    Charmy aka "the Penny Lady" as charming as ever!

jello and green18 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oysterk

Oysterk Active Member

Stayed at the show for two days, had a great time. Upgraded my 1796 draped bust cent, will probably post some pictures in another thread later, a few nice toned coins, and met some cointalk members. Another great Baltimore show.:smug:

4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

OBSERVATION at the SHOW:
    I dabble with the Early US Commemoratives.
    1-2 years ago the Whitman Show was flooded with them.
    At this show they were almost non-existent.

I believe I read somewhere that that portion of the market is currently depressed.
    So I concluded dealers are waiting for it to rise again so that they can cover their purchases rather than take a loss now.

Opinions?

5. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

? I saw lots of early commemoratives. Actually purchased my first (a 1926 Sesquicentennial Half). I do believe the market is currently a bit down on them, but I saw them at dozens of booths.

6. coolhandred

coolhandred Member

I managed to get a great deal on a large group of Ancient coins and the real bonus was most of the coins were identified and referenced saving me countless hours of study.

7. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

Is there anyone on here who lives near Georgia and will be at the Dalton Show, April 17-19? The Baltimore show is just too far for me too go at this time.

8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

This was my first time to the Baltimore show, and I attended on Saturday. The show had many interesting exhibits as well as booths set up by various clubs. I especially enjoyed talking to a Liberty Seated Collector's Club member about seated varieties and CC strikes, and sharing my similar thoughts regarding bust coinage. I also made quite a few new dealer contacts, caught up with a few dealers I know well, and met some fellow JRCS members in person.

It was nice to see NGC, PCGS, and ANACS there accepting submissions. I had brought a few orders with me to submit to NGC. Luckily I had called NGC customer service ahead of time, and they said to get to the booth early, and that they wouldn't be accepting submissions after noon. As soon as I got to the show I made a beeline for the NGC booth, and I'm glad I did, since they actually closed up at around 11AM. I got there just in time to be the last to get my submissions in. The folks at the NGC booth were extremely friendly and accommodating.

Even though the show is technically open on Sunday, it seemed to me like the vast majority of the dealers only attend through Saturday. As such, many started packing up to make their way home as early as 1PM. As this is a large show, by the time I had gotten from one side of the bourse to the other, it was 4:30, and only maybe a quarter of the dealers were still open. While the selection of available material was fairly broad, several dealers mentioned they had additional material I would be interested in, but it had sold the previous day. Overall it was a great show, but I will definitely attend on Friday the next time.

sgt23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted