Whitman # 9046 - Common Experience for Me with Toning

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by USS656, Oct 18, 2019.

1. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

This set came from the collection I am going through for a Co-Worker. I am actually keeping this set, as agreed upon, because I like the Franklin. The others I am torn what to do with. I think many of the silver coins need a careful dip to prevent the toning from doing more damage.

Fortunately none of these coins were in great shape when they went into this Album back in the mid-60's. Almost every set I have seen from the 60's (30 to 40 albums) end up looking like these or worse. I cringe every time someone I know or have met tells me they have inherited a collection and many of the coins are in albums. The following pictures show the coins as they were found.

Thoughts, opinions?

upload_2019-10-18_16-53-11.png
    upload_2019-10-18_16-53-50.png
    upload_2019-10-18_16-54-17.png
    upload_2019-10-18_16-54-48.png
    upload_2019-10-18_16-55-13.png
    upload_2019-10-18_16-56-0.png
    upload_2019-10-18_16-56-23.png
    upload_2019-10-18_16-56-55.png
    upload_2019-10-18_16-57-21.png

Attached Files:

Peter T Davis likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USS656

4. USS656

5. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I like them, they have character.

USS656 likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would not dip any of them. They won't look as nice as they do now. As said, they have character.

USS656 and Islander80-83 like this.
  7. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

I too have learned the hard way that albums are not the way to store coins. There are, however, people who pay a premium for coins such as yours because of the “toning.”

Stevearino and USS656 like this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

While I'm strongly in favor of dipping coins to preserve them for future collectors - that only applies to certain coins, and very, very rarely to circulated coins. Coins that are "worth the effort" as it were. And none of these measure up to that in my opinion. And a couple of them that do, well I think they'd be better left as they are. The others are either already damaged or simply not worth messing with due to wear and or commonality. Those I would simply offer as is and let it go at that.

Stevearino likes this.
  9. USS656

Thanks Doug!

My only thought is you never know what journey a coin will take in it's life and I would always like to think it will be a long one with many future collectors beyond me.

The black toning while it has done damage, will continue to do more as it progresses. I know a circulated coin dipped that has already had bad toning will not look very good to a collector when it is done. Careful dipping can at least stop the damage if done right. Over time, retoned in a better/monitored environment might create a more appealing circulated/cleaned coin.

While most serious collectors would never consider them, a YN or collector new to the hobby might find them appealing when buying with a limited budget.

This is me overthinking it, I know. The Kennedy, Washington, and top of the Peace are just not attractive and have gone beyond what you want to see in toning. That said, they are all now in flips which is right where I plan to leave them. The next guy can decide what to do if they do not like where they are at. Lets hope it's another 30 or 40 years before we have to worry about it.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

11. USS656

they are all now in flips which is right where I plan to leave them. The next guy can decide what to do if they do not like where they are at. Lets hope it's another 30 or 40 years before we have to worry about it. :)

Stevearino likes this.
  12. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Definitely leave them as they are.

Stevearino likes this.
  13. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

Yep, I would leave them also.

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Interesting point though of how do you stop the toning. My suggestion would be to rinse the coins with distilled water and then with acetone and finally dry them in an oven at perhaps 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Then store in flips.

Draft saved Draft deleted