White whale and a little fish

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Ever since I saw @David Atherton 's left facing Domitian denarii I have wanted one. Well I finally got one. It is quite worn, true, but there is enough of a portrait left to be pleasing.
    I am very excited to add this one to my collection. According to an earlier post by David all left facing portraits on Domitian's denarii are rare, but those on coins for him issued as Caesar are especially so. Also, this is a non-Minerva denarius. You can barely see SALVS on the reverse resting on a column. You cannot quite see the snake being fed.

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 12.00.57 PM.png

Domitian as Caesar Denarius 79 to 24 June
    18mm., 3,15g.
    Obv:Head laureate l; CAESAR AVG F DOMITIANUS COS VI
    Rev: Salus stg r resting on column feeding snake out of patera; PRICEPS IVVENTUTIS
    RIC 1085 (R2)
    Ex: Savoca Blue 19thauction April 21, 2019 Lot 1138

This next coin is listed as common but does not seem to be very common. I bought it because of the reverse. It is not Minerva it is SPES holding a flower. I did not have a Domitian with SPES and the price was right so I added this "little fish" as well.

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 12.02.37 PM.png
    Domitian as Caesar Denarius 75 CE
    18mm., 3,21g
    Obv: Head leaureate r; CAES AVG F DOMIT COS III
    Rev: Spes stg l with flower; PRINCEPS IVVENTVT
    RIC 788 [Vespasian]
    Ex: Savoca Blue 19thauction April 21, 2019 Lot 1143

If you have made it this far...thank you. Please post your coins of Domitian or any coins where the portrait orientation makes the coin rare.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

A lot of bargains at that auction today. Congrats on getting some rarities at great prices!

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Way to go on the rare Domi!! Side question; does Savoca get coins to Canada as quick as they do US?
    They bill me Sundays and I have the coin in hand the following Tuesday!
    Anywhoob, here's my only AR Domitian:

486A06B8-A6AC-41A1-A309-12320596D5DD.png
    Domitian
    81-96 CE. Denarius, 3.44g. (h). Rome, 81 AD. Obv: IMP CAES DOMITIANVS AVG P M Head laureate right. Rx: TR P COS VII - DES VIII P P Wreath on curulechair, the legs of which terminate in lions' paws. RIC 48 (C ). BM 18. Paris 17. Cohen 570 (2 Fr.). Not a common coin: just five specimens in RekaDevnia hoard. Good VF

randygeki, Alegandron, Orfew and 3 others like this.
  5. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

That is an amazing piece!

6. Orfew

Yes, the shipping is very fast from Savoca. I usually have the coin within 2 1/2 to 3 days.

I like your denarius of Domitian.

Ryro likes this.
  7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I completely forgot about this auction today because of the holiday! I'm glad you remembered and picked up that RIC 788. Congrats on your win!

8. Orfew

Thanks Jay. I could not believe how little many of the Flavians went for in this auction. If I felt like it I could have easily picked up another half dozen bargains.

9. Orfew

Sorry that you missed the auction David. Thanks for the kind words.

David Atherton likes this.
  10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice Find

Orfew likes this.
  11. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Congrats on the two coins @Orfew especially the left facing Domitian. It's hard to beat the feeling of finally getting a highly desired coin.

Orfew likes this.
  12. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The only coin I have for Domitian is this bronze one where he's heading left. Reverse reads big SC ( Antioch). I loved this coin because it represents one of the 12 Caesars.

Domit O.JPG Domiti SC       Antioch.JPG

Johndakerftw, Bing and Orfew like this.
  13. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Nice snag and at a great price too! I love dredging the Savoca Blue auctions for nuggets that others missed. I couldn't be online when the provincials went live and missed out on a lot of really tough hole fillers... especially the Claudia Octavia!

I only have two Domitians at the moment, but did at one point own this interesting leftie quadrans... been having second thoughts on whether I should have let that one go
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-H2lrbMxNb7UTSe3v.jpg

14. Orfew

Yes, Savoca have had some great coins at terrific bargains lately. I dare say it is no longer a secret.;)

I love the quadrans. It is RIC 1581 [Vespasian]. RIC lists it as R2 (very rare).

15. Orfew

The coins arrived today.
    Domitian RIC 788 new.jpg Domitian ric 1085 new.jpg

Bing, Finn235 and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted