White Whale Acquired: 1874 $2 Legal Tender Note Allison/Spinner Fr#43

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Bradley Trotter, May 19, 2021.

1. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Ever since I started collecting Paper Money over a decade ago, I've always been enamored by the Legal Tender Issues of the 1870s due to the rich floral seals that dominate the face side. Even though I've attended dozens of coin and currency shows and visited many local coin dealers over the years, I've only ever seen a handful of these notes offered for sale in person. Unfortunately, these examples were far outside of my financial means and remain so even now. However, as I vaguely alluded to in a thread by a fellow Cointalk member, I've made a rather notable addition to my collection of American paper money thanks to eBay. Even though this particular specimen isn't the best compared to higher-end examples that tend to populate search results. I'm quite satisfied with my purchase since I was able to find one of my "white whales" that I have wanted for over a decade.

1874 $2 Legal Tender Note Personal Scans_000112.png

1874 $2 Legal Tender Note Personal Scans Reverse_000114.png

With all that being said, if you have any Legal Tender Notes from the 1870s/80s or anything else you deem relevant, please don't hesitate to share your examples.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Beautiful example, congratulations.

Inspector43 and Bradley Trotter like this.
  5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

A lot of notes don’t hold up sight wise as that note. It is actually very lovely and presentable example.

Inspector43 and Bradley Trotter like this.
  6. Bradley Trotter

Going off of what you said @scottishmoney, it looks much better in hand than it does in the scans that I posted.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

Congrats, incredible.

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

It looks great, surprised the grade is a mere 15, it faces up better than higher graded notes.

Mountain Man and Bradley Trotter like this.
  9. Bradley Trotter

Suppose I had to guess why this particular note graded a 15 was more than likely due to the nicked margin above Jefferson's portrait and the nature of the folds. Regardless, it certainly looks great, even though it's 147 years old.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    scottishmoney likes this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Nice addition. Good job.

11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Very nice. The art on the notes from the 1870s is just spectacular. Great addition!

12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Super nice !

13. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

In case you didn't notice -- the plate number on this note is A1, the top note of the very first plate created to print this series. Very nice!

Draft saved Draft deleted