White Swan Mine Thaler

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Chris B, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Charles (German: Karl), Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, reigned as Prince of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel from 1735 until his death in March of 1780.

Karl_Wilhelm_Ferdinand_von_Braunschweig.jpg

Portrait of Charles William Ferdinand as Hereditary Prince by Pompeo Batoni, 1767

Charles was the eldest son of Ferdinand Albert II, Duke of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel. He fought under Prince Eugene of Savoy against the Ottoman Empire before inheriting the Principality of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel from his father in 1735. Through his mother, he was first cousins with Empress Maria Theresa.

On the suggestion of his court-preacher, in 1745 he founded the Collegium Carolinum, which is today known as the Technical University of Brunswick. He also hired Gotthold Ephraim Lessing as the librarian for the Bibliotheca Augusta.

Charles attempted to promote the economic development of his state. For example, he founded the Fürstenberg Porcelain Company and installed mandatory fire insurance. However, he did not manage to keep the state finances in check. As a result, in 1773 his eldest son Charles William Ferdinand took over the government.

When the American Revolution began in 1775, Prince Charles saw an opportunity to replenish the duchy's treasury by renting its army to Great Britain. In 1776, Duke Charles signed a treaty with his cousin George III of the United Kingdom to supply troops for service with the British armies in America. 4,000 soldiers were dispatched under General Friedrich Adolf Riedesel. The Brunswick troops fought in General John Burgoyne's army at the Battles of Saratoga, where they were taken prisoner as part of the Convention Army.

Numismatically speaking, there were many great coins issued under his name. I recently acquired a 1752 mining Thaler that appeals to me for multiple reasons. I have been fascinated by the mining Thalers and this one has 2 Wildmen on the reverse. In the 1740s and ’50s, there was a series of beautiful mining Thalers issued. They have a common reverse but each represents a different mine on the obverse. They are all at least scarce and command steep prices in better grades.

The first picture below is the seller's photo. While I consider myself an amateur photographer, I could see obvious faults with his photos. Following are some quick cell phone photos that, while far from perfect, give a more accurate idea of the actual appearance.

GerBru179204.jpg

GerBru179207.jpg

Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel 1752 IBH Thaler

Obverse: D.G. CAROLVS - DVX. BRVNSVIC. - LVNEB. 1752, Arms with Crown (oval shield on V-shaped base), supported by two Wild Man.
    Reverse: CANDIDVS HAEC PROFERT MONTANVS PRAEMIA CYGNVS, lake with a swan under clouds. Below in 5 lines - DIE GRVBE WEISSER SCHWAN KAM IN AVSBEVT IM Q: LVCIAE 1732 I.B.H.

Note: White Swan Mining Thaler. Davenport-2157

Ruler: Karl I
    Mint: Zellerfeld
    Mint Master: Johann Benjamin Hecht

Composition: Silver

Johann Benjamin Hecht was the mint master at Zellerfeld from 1739-1763.

I would love to show you more of these but I have a personal rule that I only share pictures of coins that I actually own. My intention is to pick up more of these as I find them and can afford them. In the meantime, if you have a copy of Davenport check out these: 2167-Bliefeld Mine, 2160-Cronenburg’s Luck Mine, 2164-Goodness of the Lord Mine, 2166-Rainbow Mine, 2168-King Karl Mine, 2169-Blessing of God Mine. You can also find them all here: http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Silver_crowns_by_Davenport_number#Davenport_2000-2299

If you are interested, here is a link to a writeup I did on an earlier mining thaler. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/lauthenthal-mining-thaler.355747/

Sources:
    Wikipedia
    German Talers 1700-1800 by John S. Davenport
    Standard Catalog of German Coins 1501-Present 3rd Edition

Please post any other mining Thalers that you may have....or anything else you want to share.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Great design, I had one which I had sold. 10100742.jpg

4. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Strangely enough I was looking at a few of these this week :D nice coins guys :D

Chris B likes this.
  5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Great coins, love them.

6. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Chris B, Nice score :D! Despite some striking weakness the thaler is in choice condition. I like the use of "Wildmen" in the coat of arms :).

Chris B likes this.
  7. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

wow lovely thaler!

Chris B likes this.
  8. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Beautiful addition! The mining talers in general have some excellent artistry.

Chris B likes this.
  9. Chris B

Thank you for the kind comments. It was completely unplanned but I have another mining thaler en route from one of my favorite sellers. Karl Stephens put out one of his lists over the weekend and there happened to be a very reasonably priced one on it. As soon as I have it I will add some pictures to this thread.

10. Chris B

Somehow I forgot that I had this one.

GerBru174505.jpg

Zellerfeld mint, KM920, Dav-2163. A large and illustrative example commemorating the Goodness of the Lord Mine with crowned complex arms and wildmen supporters.

Obverse: Crowned complex arms with wildmen supporters
    Obverse Legend: D • G • CAROLVS - DVX • BRVNSVIC • - LVNEB •
    Reverse: View of the mines
    Reverse Legend: DIE ERDE IST VOLL GVTE DES HERRN
    Reverse Inscription: DIE GRVBE / GVTE DES HERRN / KAM IN AVSBEVT / IM Q REM: date / I.B.H.

Subject: Goodness of the Lord Mine
    Ruler: Karl I
    Note: Mining Thaler

PaulTudor and Maxfli like this.
  11. Chris B

As promised, this showed up in the mail yesterday. A purchase from Karl Stephens. I have to say it is pretty amazing in hand. I included a copy of his label and description. Karl has a history of grading coins conservatively so when I saw he described it as Proof Like I was sold. The price was right which didn't hurt.

GerBru176514.jpg

Obverse: Crowned quartered arms on ornate shield
    Obverse Legend: GEORG • III • D • G • M • BRIT • FR • & H • REX • F • D • BR • & L • DVX • S • R • I • A • TH • & EL *
    Reverse: View of mine
    Reverse Legend: AN GOTTES SEGEN IST ALLES GELEGEN
    Reverse Inscription: DIE GRVBE / SEGEN GOTTES / KAM IN AVSBEVT / IM Q: CRVC: date / I.A.P.

Subject: Segen Gottes Mine
    Ruler: George III
    Note: Dav. #2109
    Mint: Zellerfeld
    Mint Master: Johann Anton Pfeffer

GerBru176507.jpg

PaulTudor likes this.
  12. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

Amazing piece Chris, congrats!

Chris B likes this.