White spots on Morgan help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bradgator2, Feb 20, 2020.

1. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

I have an 87 Morgan that has some white spots that appear in the right light/angle. Looks like a beard of snow. Any idea of what it is?

It looks like it is on the surface like dried soap scum. But it is only in the chatter on her chin/jaw.

These photos are all slightly different light angles.

(edit: just noticed it the hair above her ear too)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Oooooo...she needs a dermatologist. In the meanwhile, you could put it carefully in the sink and let hot water run over it for 30 seconds or so and blot it dry with a soft cloth (no rubbing) and see if that helps.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I suspect it is reflective light from some sharp abrasions that formed shear surfaces ( tiny sharp flat)I do not think it is chemical residue or such. Collectors many decades ago would "thumb" the coin, trying to minimize the sharpness by rubbing them. If is it a residue , that's the best chance to solve it as rubbing it will show IMO, Jim

5. bradgator2

This is something along the lines of what I was thinking. Mainly because it is only found on that chattered area on her jaw. I do feel like I’ve seen it before on others. I’ll hunt for them tonight.

6. bradgator2

I think you are right. I was able to get a pic through a 30x mag. Amazing. At 10x, they still looked like spots.

What would cause such extreme tiny fine scratches?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted