While Coin roll hunting...

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Coinwoman, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Coinwoman

Coinwoman After you box 'em....?

I looked at the FAQ and thru a couple pages of threads and didn't see anything about this, so I think I'm free to ask:
    What do you guys do with your hands before/during roll hunting? Do you bother to wash them beforehand? Most likely your wash afterwards. My hands always feel oily and gritty after coin roll hunting.
    Some I'm sure wear gloves, only handle the coin by the boarders, etc. though handling the coins with gloves can be a bit annoying because of latex bulk. I personally like feeling the metal against my fingers. Gives me a better connection to the coin if I can feel it.

Just wondering, what the norm is on it. ^.^

Noah Finney likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

some use gloves. I do not. I have not hunted for silver dimes in a very long time, but thinking of starting it up again after looking a the last 15 unread/now read pages of huntings for silver thread. I definately wash my hands afterwards. to many germs/bacteria there. definately a antibacteria soap for sure. good luck hunting.

Noah Finney, Kentucky and Coinwoman like this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

There's always someone who will swear up and down that gloves are absolutely necessary when handling coins, but the fact is they're not, and the use of them can easily lead to a loss of dexterity. That said, it's a personal choice; if you prefer to go without, there's nothing wrong with it, and the same can be said for those who do choose to wear them.

As for the washing thing, I suppose this too is a personal choice. Rolled coins can certainly be rather nasty, so washing afterwards is likely a rather wise idea, but you're searching change that's been touched near countless times, and has surely gone through things best left unknown, so washing prior probably does little good or at least makes no real difference.

Coinwoman and Kentucky like this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Holy Moly, I am from E. KY originally and after looking through junk boxes at coin shows, my hands look almost as dirty as one of my miner uncles (almost). Don't wear gloves (deadens sense of touch) but do wash hands afterwards.

Coinwoman likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I usually wear latex gloves when doing cents. With halves and nickels I just wash after. Cents are so much dirtier than the others I find.

Coinwoman likes this.
  7. Kentucky

And don't eat watermelon while searching :)

8. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

I wear gloves simply to keep the dirt off. The coins aren't worth gloves for value, but I like my hands to remain as clean as possible.

Coinwoman likes this.
  9. furryfrog02

Oh God why?!?! :vomit::vomit::vomit:

Kentucky and Coinwoman like this.
  10. Coinwoman

Coinwoman After you box 'em....?

Ty for the responses :) the main reason I wonder about washing before searching is because of dirt and oils from my hands getting on the coins. Granted since they're circulated already it prolly doesn't make much of a difference. My internet searches often come up with dire warnings about cleaning hands and holding the coins right.

11. furryfrog02

Meh, you are handling circulated coins. I'm sure whatever they came in contact with your hands is 10000000000000000x worse lol.

It's not like you are handling a rare MS piece or something.

Coinwoman likes this.
  12. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I also like to wear gloves just because your hands get so dirty if you don’t. I usually get a cheap box from harbor freight or somewhere like that.

13. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

If I am putting upgrades into my albums or filling holes, I wash my hands first. Probably should use gloves but I don't.

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Kentucky

Hygene...don't eat KFC either

15. furryfrog02

:chicken::oldman::vomit:
    I totally agree with that haha

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Well, fried chicken........... fit that in somewhere but no, not while coin roll hunting! Lol

Draft saved Draft deleted