Which would you rather have - bad or worse?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MIGuy, Jan 27, 2021.

1. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

Yes, yes, the 1927-S slot in my collection needs an upgrade - I'm working on it, but I was chuckling over the ugly ducks I currently have, the re-engraved one really cracks me up. Which would you rate the "best" and why? (You can't just point out that they are all dogs!) I think re-engraved / tooled coins are weird, and pretty obvious even to me (and I have a hard time spotting things like cleaned coins, especially an old cleaning). Anyone have any good examples? reengslq.jpg rengslq2.jpg IMG_3920.JPG IMG_3919.JPG

SorenCoins likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I'd take the G-04. I like coins as natural as I get, aka I stay away from toning most of the time, don't get holed coins, no tooled coins, no plugged coins, I'm a blast white lover.

Either way, both are appealing but I like them au naturel ;)

MIGuy and SorenCoins like this.
  4. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Out of the three, I like the ICG GO4 Details the most! It has the most natural look, appears free from yellowish discoloration, and the details grade is not the result of someone trying to make the coin better than it is (i.e. it's not re-engraved or cleaned). It's got a very nice look to it imo and is a nice coin in my books.

MIGuy likes this.
  5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Save your money and buy a coin without a details grade. Regardless, if I had to choose, I'd take the one slabbed by ICG, considering I'd probably have less money invested in it, and it looks relatively eye-appealing compared to the tooled coin.

SorenCoins likes this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I prefer the one in the book. Save up until you can get a details free F or so as an upgrade. Until then, leave the one in the book alone.

coinup and Bradley Trotter like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted