Which would you choose

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bromac4, Dec 21, 2004.

1. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

Just to shift away a bit from all these coins in the MS 60's I'm interested in your opinions. These are two 1931 50 cent pieces The one on the right is slightly higher in grade but it's damaged. If you could only keep one, which would you choose.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rggoodie

rggoodie New Member

The one on the left is pretty :D

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The one on the left - it has more eye appeal to me.

5. ndgoflo

ndgoflo Senior Member

Left, without a doubt!!

6. pcrdnadave

pcrdnadave Senior Member

Hands down, the one on the left.

7. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

The piece on the left looks more original, has better eye appeal. ANACS might give the piece on the right a higher initial grade, but would most likely give it a lower 'NET' grade because it is damaged and has been cleaned.

8. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

9. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

I also like the one on the left and there doesn't appear to be very much difference in grade between the two. The one on the left definitely has more eye-appeal.

10. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

This has been very interesting. I have the advantage of having the coin in front of me but there is a definite difference in grade - the detail in the eye, the band of the crown and the detail in the robe, but even more the reverse shown in this new scan. - the damaged coin is on the right.I have enjoyed your comments and I think you have converted me. I am trying to decide which one to put in my book and I was going for grade but I do agree the lower grade coin is more appealing.

Attached Files:

• rev.jpg
      rev.jpg
      File size:
      71.4 KB
      Views:
  11. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Seeing the reverse, I agree now that there is a big difference in grade, but my vote is still for the undamaged coin as being more desireable. :)

12. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

It's pretty common for coins in this series to have weakly struck reverses. The reverse on the left is the minimum I could accept as a collectable piece and I would choose it over the piece on the right even though the right piece has better detail.

Draft saved Draft deleted