WHICH PRICE IS MORE REALISTIC

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by slackaction1, Apr 10, 2016.

1. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

The Blue Book value Price or this PCGS CERTIFICATE VERICATION on silver coins ? I know the Red Book is super high

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

I find it depends on the coin quite a lot, the best way to value most coins is just by doing a search of completed listings on either eBay or Heritage. After all, something is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it. :) PCGS for the most part is quite high.
    But getting back to how it depends on the coin, you'd be surprised how many rare coins can't be bought at Red Book value.

slackaction1 likes this.
  4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

The Red Book contains retail coin prices – what you can expect to pay when buying from a dealer. The Blue Book contains wholesale coin prices – the price you might expect to get when selling to a dealer.

I guess you look at all the prices asked or paid and then buy if you like the coin!!!

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I think auction results are a really valuable tool in figuring out how much one wants to pay. I also take a glance at Coin World prices. No one source can be considered definitive, IMHO.

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

I don't subscribe to the ..Lets see I think they call it the grey sheet what is those prices represent then if the red is dealer prices and blue is what you might get, and ebay is always over price but I still purchase there sometimes though.....

7. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Any book that is printed 6 months before the begin of its said year is going to be way off. Coins have highs and lows, so for the most accurate pricing completed auction pricing is your most accurate measure. Heritage, great collections,stacks and even ebay but I personally dont use ebay as to many bidiots can skew the averages

Santinidollar likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The only realistic price is how much you are willing to pay when you buy and the lowest price you'll accept when you sell. That's realistic. Books offer nothing more than a price guide, blue book for wholesale and red book for retail. They're just guides. All prices are determined by supply and demand.

Paddy54 and Santinidollar like this.
  9. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Most guides are too high for common coins including CDN.

Draft saved Draft deleted